Multi user passwords oppening a secured database

mark

Hi,

I have used the security wizard to create users and group
accounts. A short cut has come up on my desktop and
everythings works fine. I can input all the login name and
passwords.

My secured database is on a shared drive that can be used
by everyone in my department. As the shortcut is not on
the other users desktop they cannot open the database. If
they click on the file in the shared drive the usual
message of you do not have permission etc. No login box
appears to enable them to enter their logon name and
password.

How can I get the other users to open the database, either
by giving them a shortcut or by them openning the file?

Thanks

Albert D. Kallal

Hum, the only way to solve this problem is to distribute a short cut to each
user.

As a side note, each user should in fact have a front end (and it should be
a mde) of the program, or application side.

The so called back end with the data should reside on the server.

however, you STILL need to put the workgroup file that your shortcut uses on
the server along with the back end data file.

Your start-up shortcut that each user has will run the local mde file (with
the program code) on EACH workstation, but the path name used for the
security workgroup file will point to the server. (as will all linked
tables).

For info on this, check out:

http://www.granite.ab.ca/access/splitapp.htm

http://www.microsoft.com/accessdev/articles/bapp97/chapters/ba15_3.htm

I want to stress that a split database is NOT the solution to your
problem...but is only the recommend way to run ms-access in multi-user
situation. However, the solution to your problem is a shortcut for each
user....

TC

The general answer to your question is, to give each user a shortcut with
the following target:

all on one line:

"path to MSACCESS.EXE"
"path to MDB"
/wrkgrp "path to MDW"

Then, the path for each file, gives the location of that file.

HTH,
TC

Pieter

To solve this put a password on the 'basic' user Admin.
Basicly Access starts with the user being Admin.
Now every user wil be prompted for a password.

It can also be possible that you mus allow the basic Admin to start the database, but remove all the
rest of the security settings on forms, querys etc.

Because you secured the database, this Admin should not be a part of the Admins group.

Hi,

I have used the security wizard to create users and group
accounts. A short cut has come up on my desktop and
everythings works fine. I can input all the login name and
passwords.

My secured database is on a shared drive that can be used
by everyone in my department. As the shortcut is not on
the other users desktop they cannot open the database. If
they click on the file in the shared drive the usual
message of you do not have permission etc. No login box
appears to enable them to enter their logon name and
password.

How can I get the other users to open the database, either
by giving them a shortcut or by them openning the file?

Thanks

Microsoft never, repeat NEVER, sends updates, fixes, patches, etc., as
attachments to emails.

Free Server Software:
www.MySql.com

Newsgroups: mailing.database.mysql