Multi-user database deployment

Discussion in 'Microsoft Access Security' started by hjgoldstein, Jun 3, 2010.

  1. hjgoldstein

    hjgoldstein Guest

    Dear all,

    I have a database which I want to share on a Citrix Metaframe network.

    I have set up user level security and then split the database into front-
    and back-end. the back-end will, of course, be in a shared folder on the
    server, and I will distribute the front-end to each user to deploy on their
    Citrix desktop.

    Here's where the issue arises. In the shortcut which opens the front-end i
    have the following (for my desktop):

    Target:

    "X:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\OFFICE11\MSACCESS.EXE" "X:\Documents and
    Settings\i06547\Desktop\AuditFE.mdb" /WRKGRP "P:\AuditDB\AuditDB.mdw"

    Start in:

    "X:\Documents and Settings\i06547\Desktop\"

    As you can see, the path to the desktop is ...\I06547\... which is my user
    name for this particular network.

    Am I over-complicating things? Is it possible to leave the front-end in a
    shared folder as with the back-end and avoid having to customise the shortcut
    for each user? If not, I shall have to bite the bullet and do it the long
    way round.

    Any advice or assistance would be appreciated.

    hjgoldstein, Jun 3, 2010

  2. I haven't used Citrix in about 6 years, but in MS-Terminal Server, the best
    practice is to build a folder for each user on the Terminal Server itself,
    and put a copy of the Front-end in each user's folder, linked to a shared
    back-end.
    --
    Arvin Meyer, MCP, MVP
    http://www.datastrat.com

    Arvin Meyer [MVP], Jun 4, 2010

  3. hjgoldstein

    hjgoldstein Guest

    You beat me to posting, Arvin. This morning, I spkoke to a network
    administrator who is setting up a root mapping to the personal folder.
    Problem solved.

    Thanks for your response.

    hjgoldstein, Jun 4, 2010