MTV Launches 'Classic' Channel Dedicated to 1990s

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Going back to my childhood, I grew up with MTV, Beavis and Butthead etc. This will be great! lol.

MTV plans to rebrand VH1 Classic as MTV Classic starting on August 1st. According to a statement from the company, the new channel will focus on "an eclectic mix of fan-favorite MTV series and music programming drawn from across its rich history, with a special focus on the 1990s and early 2000s."

The August 1st switch date has special significance, commemorating the launch of MTV 35 years ago on August 1st, 1981. The debut hour of MTV Classic will replicate the first hour of programming in MTV's history. In a nod to modern technology, fans will also be able to watch "MTV Hour One" via Facebook Live on the channel's Facebook page.

"From Beavis & Butt-head to Laguna Beach, MTV’s programming vault is a music and pop culture goldmine with universal resonance," Sean Atkins, President of MTV, noted in a statement. "MTV Classic gives audiences a modern and artful home for classic MTV programming and — alongside MTV, MTV2, MTV Live and mtvU — rounds out a diverse portfolio with music and youth culture at its core."

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
I wish we'd had Sky at home growing up! Feel like I've missed out :blush:

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
We didn't either, but I spent a lot of time at friends houses who did! :lol:

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Nice! I had a friend who took in on herself to educate me in all the films I hadn't seen. Mum didn't like her :D

The only music videos I used to watch were the ones on TOTP though!