MTP Porting Kit / Creative Zen V Plus

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Multimedia' started by Guest, Nov 1, 2006.

    Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
    unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported. I
    probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very concerned
    about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way. Even
    if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the accompanying CD,
    there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my hard
    disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
    quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.

    However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows, so
    I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to learn,
    the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
    supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under Windows
    XP).

    HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol Porting
    Kit -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmedia/downloads/default.aspx --
    to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
    2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
    Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the following
    files:

    - %windir%/System32/drivers
    - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
    OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
    - %windir%/System32
    - mtpiusb.dll
    - mtpsmgr.exe
    - mtpistb.dll
    - mtpsp.dll
    - %windir%/Inf
    - wpdmtp.inf

    But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of your
    player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...

    1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
    Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to upgrade
    to Windows XP?

    2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf file
    that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just minimal
    functionality.

    Thanks for your help!

    Guest, Nov 1, 2006

    chris1379 Guest

    I'm facing the same problem here. Did you ever get it to work?

    Chris

    Dean Hannotte (http://www.hannotte.net/ http://www.hannotte.net/)

    chris1379, Dec 26, 2006

    Hi People,

    I got this solution off creative's message board by The_Smurf
    http://forums.creative.com/creative...ssage.id=165041&view=by_date_ascending&page=2

    Here is the easiest solution for Windows 2000:

    1. Download my own drivers with support for Zen V & Zen V Plus
    http://www.yourfilehost.com/media.php?cat=other&file=5410MTP.zip
    2. Unpack & Install MTP9x-2k.EXE
    3. Choose ctpdmtp.inf & click right mouse button & select Install
    4. Restart Windows
    5. When Windows has booted up again plug your ZEN V in to a USB port,
    if it askes for a driver please refer it to the ctpdmtp.inf file. (If
    it doesn't ask for the drivers, start Add/Remove Hardware from Control
    Panel and detect new hardware)
    6. Download & install MediaMonkey
    http://www.mediamonkey.com/download.htm
    7. Now Zen V should work fine! It should appear as Creative Zen V or
    Creative Zen V Plus in MediaMonkey after a few seconds.

    I tried this for a friend and it works fine... but you still can't see
    the Zen V as an external drive in an explorer window. You have to use
    MediaMonkey to transfer files to your Zen.

    wrote:
    > Somebody bought me a new Zen V Plus player from Creative, but
    > unfortunately I'm using Windows 2000, which is not officially supported. I
    > probably won't upgrade my OS for a few more years because I'm very concerned
    > about stability. In the meantime, I'd like to use the Zen in some way. Even
    > if I can't load all the supporting utility software from the accompanying CD,
    > there should be some way for me to be able to just copy files from my hard
    > disk to the Zen's file system and play them. That in itself would be a
    > quantum leap over having no MP3 player at all.
    >
    > However, the V Plus does not look like a little hard disk to Windows, so
    > I can't use Explorer to copy the files. As far as I have been able to learn,
    > the V Plus uses flash memory and Media Transfer Protocol (MTP), which is
    > supported in Windows Media Player 10 (which is only supported under Windows
    > XP).
    >
    > HOWEVER ... Microsoft recently released a Media Transfer Protocol Porting
    > Kit -- see http://msdn.microsoft.com/windowsmedia/downloads/default.aspx --
    > to add MTP support to WMPlayer 9, the last one that worked under Windows
    > 2000. But it's not easy to set up. After installing it and reading the
    > Readme-Redist.txt file, you run MTP9x-2k.exe, which installs the following
    > files:
    >
    > - %windir%/System32/drivers
    > - wpdusb9x.sys (Windows 98SE or Windows ME)
    > OR wpdusb.sys (Windows 2000)
    > - %windir%/System32
    > - mtpiusb.dll
    > - mtpsmgr.exe
    > - mtpistb.dll
    > - mtpsp.dll
    > - %windir%/Inf
    > - wpdmtp.inf
    >
    > But then you have to edit a .inf file to describe the attributes of your
    > player. This is beyond my technical ability. So ...
    >
    > 1) Am I right to think that I can get basic MP3 player use from the V
    > Plus just by installing the MTP Porting Kit, or do I really need to upgrade
    > to Windows XP?
    >
    > 2) If the Porting Kit will work, can anybody help me write a .inf file
    > that will be correct for the V Plus? I'd really by happy with just minimal
    > functionality.
    >
    > Thanks for your help!

    , Dec 30, 2006

    chris1379 Guest

    Thanks a bunch! I still don't have it working yet under Win98SE but it
    has to be possible. I sent Smurf a reply over in the Creative forum. If
    anyone else is trying to get a Zen V working in Win98, feel free to
    chime in.

    Chris

    chris1379, Jan 1, 2007

    tetong Guest

    444444444444444444

    "chris1379" <>
    ??????:...

    tetong, Feb 8, 2007

    tetong Guest

    1111111

    "chris1379" <>
    ??????:...

    tetong, Feb 8, 2007

    I have not been able to download pictures from my Canon Powershot SD1000 to
    my Dell laptop running Vista Home Premium. The problem seems to be in the
    Windows PTP driver, specifically the WpdUsb.sys driver. When I log into
    msconfig, the tools tab confirms that WpdUsb driver is not started; and
    instead, has stopped.

    I cannot make Device Manager enable this driver.

    Suggestions?
    Thanks,
    Tim

    Guest, Jul 6, 2007

    adid4s Guest

    For those who have came across the following instructions but still have
    problems getting your Zen V Plus to work on Windows 2k I may have some help

    here are the instructions,

    ---from Creative forum---

[...]

    ---from Creative Forum---

    OK In step 5 where it explains, "if it askes for a driver please refer it to
    the ctpdmtp.inf file", easiest way to do this is to FIRST put the
    ctpdmtp.inf into the folder "C:\WINNT\system32" ( because otherwise you'll
    have issues getting the installation to recognize the file. ... so to make
    things a whole lot easier just put the ctpdmtp.inf into system32 before you
    begin step 5 =)

    any questions about this i'll be happy to anwser

    adid4s, Feb 5, 2008

    Barry Guest

    Thanks guys, this has been very helpful, as I am in the same boat do not
    choose to upgrade, quite happy with win2000. I bought this from Ecost.com
    and the write up said it needed no software or drivers, assuming it was just
    like another flash, I bought it. Well you know the rest.

    Everything but MediaMonkey worked for me, I can't figure out how to get
    files from the computer to the portable device. Send to?? In any event
    after playing a long time I did some further research and found that once the
    driver is loaded windows media player 9x will actually put files on the Zen
    V. It isn't very pretty but it does work, that is all I really want is for
    it to work. So some advice for those that can't get the mediamonkey to work,
    windows media player might work for you.

    Mediamonkey looks like it will do much more, if someone can tell me how to
    use it. I did spend some time with the help file but got little from it.

    Thanks,
    Barry

    Barry, Feb 6, 2008

    Bob Guest

    Hi
    I just saw your post (see below) - I know its really old info but...
    Could you tell me if you think your drivers will work on my Win2K laptop
    using a Creative Zen Stone 1GB as opposed to a Zen V?

    Bob, Jun 25, 2008

    Higor Guest

    Hey adid4s,
    I bought a ZEN 8GB and I tried to follow the instructions here to get it
    working in Windows 2k but it did't work. Win2k actually knows it's plugged
    but I can't really install it. I also tried to install Media Monkey like
    waiting for a miracle... but it did't happen :(
    Do you have any idea on what can be done in order to get this "great" player
    working on win2k?
    Thanks a lot dude.

    Higor, Aug 15, 2008

    Ned Guest

    Did you get this working? I've done exactly the same with a Zen Mosaic -
    downloaded 5410mtp.zip, modified ctpdmtp.inf so it has the correct name, vip
    and pid. It claims to instal but then has a driver error.

    Any ideas?

    Ned, Jan 12, 2009