MSE "Unprotected" message

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
I have been running MSE for the past couple of weeks, liking it too :thumb: But today, it has puzzled me a bit.

It is set to carry out a quick-scan daily, at 5 am, and to check for updates before doing so.

Just a little while ago, I noticed that the normally green icon in the notification area, had turned brown. On checking, there was a message which stated: Computer status - Potentially unprotected.

Real time protection was showing as "on"
Virus & spyware definitions: Up to date

(Fwiw, Updated at 09/07/2010 at 10:31
Virus definitions version 1.85.1774.0
Spyware definitions version 1.85.1774.0)

It was advising me to scan - which I did (quick scan) and all was well.

Does anyone have any idea why it threw up the "potentially unprotected" message please? Thank you in advance for looking :D

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Odd, did it do the scan @5am?

It went back to normal after the scan u ran manually?

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
V_R said:
Odd, did it do the scan @5am?

It went back to normal after the scan u ran manually?

Hi V_R, thanks for your reply, sorry for the delay responding, but went off to do some cooking :)

Yes, MSE returned to normal after the manual scan.

Regarding the 5 am scan, yes, it did that one too (I noticed, because earlier this morning I checked to see whether it was up-to-date, etc.) Being a new (to me) app, I've been keeping an eye on it.

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
no idea about the hiccup, but scanning once a week is fine as it'll "scan" whenever you "view" something. :D

:wave:

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Thank you Mucks :thumb: I got into the "daily scan" habit a while ago, when some virulent "nasties" were doing the rounds, but guess it's a tad OTT now, lol. :blush:

Reaction score
Hi TC.....i too have MSE and last week i got the same carry on. I found that somehow windows defender had turned off ?????. Anyhoo i turned it back on all was happy again. I did a scan and evrything seemed fine so i left it alone.

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi there Cap'n, it's good to see you. :wave: Thanks for the input, I shall certainly bear that in mind, just in case the little glitch repeats itself :thumb:

Ask a Question