msconfig(system configuration utility) starting automatically?

J

jbclem

I'm using the WinXP msconfig.exe in my Windows 2000, works perfectly well...but sometimes it begins to start itself up
automatically with every reboot. I've never been able to figure out what triggers this, sometimes it'll behave itself
and stay in it's cave until I call for it, but then I'll do something and this automatic cycle will begin. When it's
up, I always check the startup tab and then hit Cancel but currently it's in automatic mode and keeps coming back after
every reboot or startup.

It is set for "selective startup", perhaps because I often uncheck any startup files I don't want...could this be the
cause of the automatic-ness?

Any suggestions for taming this beast...

jc

ps...it's not really a beast, but one of the most helpful programs/files for keeping virus activated programs at bay.

P

Pegasus \(MVP\)

jbclem said:
I'm using the WinXP msconfig.exe in my Windows 2000, works perfectly
well...but sometimes it begins to start itself up
automatically with every reboot. I've never been able to figure out what
triggers this, sometimes it'll behave itself
and stay in it's cave until I call for it, but then I'll do something and
this automatic cycle will begin. When it's
up, I always check the startup tab and then hit Cancel but currently it's
in automatic mode and keeps coming back after
every reboot or startup.

It is set for "selective startup", perhaps because I often uncheck any
startup files I don't want...could this be the

jc

ps...it's not really a beast, but one of the most helpful programs/files
for keeping virus activated programs at bay.

I wonder whether the answer to your question lies in the trailer
to your post: "Keeping virus activated programs at bay". To me
there are just two types of machines: Those that are infected
with a virus and those that are clean. "At bay" sounds like
your PC is the proverbial can of worms and that you just manage
to keep the lid on it. One of these viruses is now quietly working
away, invoking msconfig at random intervals. A rebuild might be
your best bet, coupled with a good virus scanner that is kept
up-to-date at all times.

S

Sid Elbow

jbclem said:
I'm using the WinXP msconfig.exe in my Windows 2000, works perfectly well...but sometimes it begins to start itself up
automatically with every reboot. I've never been able to figure out what triggers this, sometimes it'll behave itself
and stay in it's cave until I call for it, but then I'll do something and this automatic cycle will begin. When it's
up, I always check the startup tab and then hit Cancel but currently it's in automatic mode and keeps coming back after
every reboot or startup.

It is set for "selective startup", perhaps because I often uncheck any startup files I don't want...could this be the

If you've changed one of the startup options, it will keep doing this
until you check the box "don't show this again" (or something similar).

J

jbclem

Hi Sid,

I've looked but can't find the option ("don't show this again") you mentioned. Could you tell me exactly where you see
this.

jc

J

jbclem

I probably should have said "for successfully keeping virus activated programs at arm's reach"...and what I meant was
that it is one of the easiest ways to stay vigilant and to spot intrusions as soon as and if they occur. Which is very
rare for me these days since I run antivirus at least once a week, and after every file download from suspect locations.
Checking msconfig.exe regularly, and watching Task Manager all the time keeps me aware of the programs that are running
and alerts me to anything unusual. This makes up, I think, for the fact that I don't have antivirus programs running
automatically, checking every breath I take, every email, every twitch, every web site...and slowing down my already
overworked computers. It seems to work because I believe I've been active virus free since the bandok (ali.exe)
visitation about 6 months ago.

If there was a virus "quietly working away, invoking msconfig at random intervals", how else would you suggest I find
it. I check with HiJack This on occasion, and also have a rootkit program that I use occasionally(but don't know that
much about )... so far watching Task Manager and msconfig has alerted me to the threats. Also, my msconfig problem
doesn't quite seem random, it is on every single time I reboot and has been for weeks now.

When you said "a rebuild might be your best bet", what did that mean? What kind of rebuild.

Thanks for the help,

jc

S

Sid Elbow

jbclem said:
Hi Sid,

I've looked but can't find the option ("don't show this again") you mentioned. Could you tell me exactly where you see
this.

You said that the msconfig window reappears when you reboot if you had
previously unchecked one of the startup programs. Somewhere (at the
bottom iirc) of that window there is a check box to prevent it from
continually reappearing.

Ask a Question