Word MS Service Pack 2 crashes BOTH Word and Outlook

Reaction score
I installed Service Pack 2 last night and now can no longer open Word or Outlook.

When I click on Outlook, it seems to be processing for a few seconds but nothing happens.I was getting a message re it not being a valid Win 32 application last night, but eventually I turned the system off and went to sleep (Bad me!) and now I am getting NOTHING.

When I try to open Word docs or the program, I get: [file name] is not a valid Win32 application.

If I go to Task Manager, it shows THREE Outlook.exe applications but nothing opens on screen.

HELP would be greatly appreciated ASAP
Norajr
--------------------
System info: Vista Busness; Trend Micro; BEC router; 80 gig ; Processor Intel Core Duo CPU 77500 @2.20 GHz 2201 MHz, 2 Cores ; Physical Memory 2.00 Gb; Available 958 Mb

Reaction score
norajr said:
I installed Service Pack 2 last night and now can no longer open Word or Outlook.

Hi Norajr......
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

Welocome to the forum.........
happywave.gif
happywave.gif

My suggestion to you would be to uninstall SP2 as it seems most likely that is the problem, or when the problem started. Once done that, see how Word and Outlook act...If they don't then you could asssume the problem is with MS Office as apposed to SP2. If they behave as they should try install SP2 again and see what happens.It might just have been a bad/interupted download.
BTW did you download SP2 from the MS site ..?

Reaction score
Madxg!
Many Many thanks for your rapid reply. I was about to try to uninstall SP2 (though there were parts of hte computer that didn;t see it and thought I only had SP 1) when I was finally able to get Microsoft on the phone. They walked me through a few changes to the system including a change to the registry and deleting the entire Office package and reinstallation from the original disks. They said it was a corrupted Office program that had caused it, and as I understand it, that was / may have been caused by the Service Pack installation. I am not sure WHY that would have happened, but at the moment I am not looking any gift horses in the proverbial mouth--as long as it WORKS!

I had been getting a lot of the messages that were posted elsewhere on this forum re. sudden crashes in Outlook. It will be interesting to see if this solves that problem. For the moment, my suggestion is for people who have had system quirks after installing MS Service Pack 2 to CALL Microsoft. There is a free support link on the web if someone needs/ wants it for this problem with Service Pack 2.

In the interim, again, MANY MANY MANY MANY thanks for making feel that there is a place I can go to for help in the future. I will no doubt need it!
Norajr

Reaction score
I had similar when I first installed SP2, so removed both SP2 and MS Office and started again. Glad your problem is solved though. As for the MS number been free, it depnds where you are in the world, and if you can actually get through or not...Glad to be of help though...:thumb:

Reaction score
Re. "depends on where you are in the world?"

At least you are "in a house"! Or were you equivocating about THAT oh great equivocator? <s>

The tech support guy told me that MS had a crash of one of its major routers and as a result they have lost calls and had long multi-hour queues. Nothing can be worse than my past experience with a four-letter-name computer manufacturer though!

I threatened to burn my laptop in the well of the NY Stock Exchange with the Fnancial Times and hte Wall Street Journal watching. Didn;t get me naywhere but it felt good to say it!
Norajr

Ask a Question