    --
    Randy
    <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

    Randy Knobloch, Jun 25, 2009

  2. Randy Knobloch

    Stu Guest

    First indications are that it is more than a mere security scanner. More like
    a security engulfer! Common MS give us a break! Its one thing to indulge
    yourself in the AS/AV market but give people the choice rather than impose an
    application to the expense of all others on account of a failed One Care
    project.

    Stu

    Stu, Jun 25, 2009

  3. Randy Knobloch

    robinb Guest

    I am not that thrilled with it
    I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do an
    automatic update like the other av programs do

    this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and when
    checking MSE it still had the old update

    This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep checking
    it for updates
    robin

    robinb, Jun 25, 2009
  4. robinb wrote:
    >I am not that thrilled with it
    > I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do an
    > automatic update like the other av programs do
    >
    > this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and when
    > checking MSE it still had the old update
    >
    > This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep checking
    > it for updates

    "How to manually download the latest definition updates for Microsoft Security Essentials"
    <http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971606>

    Good luck, Robin !

    Randy Knobloch, Jun 25, 2009
  5. Randy Knobloch

    robinb Guest

    I do not want to manually update them- I want the program to update them
    automatically! period!
    I could go in and click update and it would do it but no one is going to
    remember to do that every day
    I started a thread on the forum to see who agrees with me
    if you go on the beta forum you will see me all over the place :p
    robin

    robinb, Jun 25, 2009
  6. Randy Knobloch

    Don Carlson Guest

    Robin,

    "I do not want to manually update them"

    There is one choice that you have. I don't need to do "Full" system scans
    being that it checks things in "real time". Being that I have already done
    the "Full" system scan at install I now have it set to "Quick" scan. In the
    "settings" tab you can set it when to scan so I have it set at a time when I
    am usually not doing something or late at night before I turn it off and
    "check" the tab that states "Check for the latest virus & spyware
    definitions before running scheduled scan".

    Once I figure out when the usually have the new ones posted I can change the
    scheduled scan around this.

    This is what I do to make this update without manually doing it.

    --
    Don

    Don Carlson, Jun 25, 2009
  7. Randy Knobloch

    robinb Guest

    I have that checked but I have it doing a scan once a week
    I am wondering if you have to have it scan daily to force the update
    which is not a good thing if you only want it to do a scan weekly
    robin

    robinb, Jun 25, 2009
  8. Randy Knobloch

    Don Carlson Guest

    Maybe you should post a suggestion to have it do the updates automatically
    as a suggestion in the Feedback area?

    --
    Don

    Don Carlson, Jun 25, 2009
  9. It does not rely on WU, it uses the same plumbing as WU. It checks for
    updates and installs them automatically apart from your AU settings in
    Windows.

    -steve

    On Thu, 25 Jun 2009 10:17:36 -0400, "robinb" <> wrote:

    >I am not that thrilled with it
    >I do not like that it relies on windows updates to update. It doesn't do an
    >automatic update like the other av programs do
    >
    >this morning the yellow shield came up and 20min later disappeared and when
    >checking MSE it still had the old update
    >
    >This is not reliable because many are not going to remember to keep checking
    >it for updates
    >robin
    >
    >"Stu" <> wrote in message
    >> First indications are that it is more than a mere security scanner. More
    >> like
    >> a security engulfer! Common MS give us a break! Its one thing to indulge
    >> yourself in the AS/AV market but give people the choice rather than impose
    >> an
    >> application to the expense of all others on account of a failed One Care
    >> project.
    >>
    >> Stu
    >>
    >> "Randy Knobloch" wrote:
    >>
    >>> <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/24/ms_morro_review/>
    >>>

    >>> --
    >>> Randy
    >>> <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

    --
    Stephen Boots
    MVP-Windows Live

    Stephen Boots MVP-Windows Live, Jun 25, 2009
  10. Randy Knobloch

    robinb Guest

    I know that now but in xp sp3 it is not doing it
    and I just posted feedback for it
    robin

    robinb, Jun 26, 2009
  11. Randy Knobloch

    robinb Guest

    also it seems others who have xp with sp3 are seeing the same thing

    robinb, Jun 26, 2009
  12. Explain? What I'm seeing is a highly competent anti-malware application
    which is tuned to be as low impact on the user and their system as possible.

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 26, 2009