MS Excel Freeze panes based on selection does not work for me

Discussion in 'Microsoft Excel Misc' started by Ken_Ohio, Jan 18, 2009.

  1. Ken_Ohio

    Ken_Ohio Guest

    I am running Office 2007.
    I am trying to freeze the top two rows in an Excel spreadsheet.
    I highlight the top two rows and use "Freeze based on selection" option.

    The app does not freeze the panes I have selected.
    It freezes 11 rows down and 3 columns across (?????) even though it still
    shows that I have the first two rows selected.

    I tried just selecting two rows and five columns, which is where my titles
    are, but the same results occur when I select the "Freeze based on selection"
    option: 11 rows down and 3 columns across.

    There doesn't seem to be any other way of doing this, or am I missing
    something?
    The option to freeze the top one row does work, but that is not what I need
    to do.

    Can anyone offer help with this?

    Sincerely,
    Ken

    Ken_Ohio, Jan 18, 2009

  2. Ken_Ohio

    sherry Guest

    well, just for the heck of it, I clicked on row 3, held down shift, clicked
    on freeze panes and clicked on freeze panes again and it worked! Good Luck!
    --
    sherry

    sherry, Jan 18, 2009

  3. Ken_Ohio

    Gord Dibben Guest

    Select a single cell.

    Anything left of or above that selected cell will be frozen.

    F3 will freeze rows 1:2 and columns A:E

    Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

    Gord Dibben, Jan 18, 2009
  4. Ken_Ohio

    Ken_Ohio Guest

    Sherry:

    Thank you for your reply. (It did not work, but I appreciate the suggestion.)

    I did figure out how to do it:
    First, I selected the "Split" button, which is right next to the Freeze menu
    option.
    Next, I moved the split created by the program to where I wanted the page to
    split.
    Then, I selected the first "Freeze Panes" option: "Based on current
    selection".

    Ken

    Ken_Ohio, Jan 18, 2009
  5. Ken_Ohio