    pat Guest

    how do i start my computer in dos mode? i have a dell
    with xp. and the love virus.

    pat, Sep 16, 2003

  2. Pat;
    Windows XP does not have DOS, so you need a Windows 98 boot disk to
    boot to DOS.

    If you are referring to Blaster, follow this to get rid of it.
    You most likely have a worm W32.Blaster.Worm
    DISCONNECT the subject computer from any network IMMEDIATELY.

    If necessary to stop the reboot process:
    Start/Run
    Type "shutdown -a" ENTER

    Install or enable a firewall IMMEDIATELY, before connecting to the
    internet:
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=283673

    VERY IMPORTANT to follow ALL steps, closing ports or installing the
    patch is NOT enough.
    Download the patch and updates referenced below.
    You may need to do this at an uninfected computer and burn to CD.

    Follow this to remove the Blaster files:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.blaster.worm.removal.tool.html

    Then download and install the appropriate patch:
    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/treeview/?url=/technet/security/bulletin/MS03-039.asp

    In the future, to protect the safety and security of your computer:
    Keep your firewall enabled/installed

    Install ALL Critical Updates IMMEDIATELY.
    Start/All Programs/Windows Update

    Install an antivirus application
    Update it weekly
    Run it at least weekly

    Also see:
    http://www.microsoft.com/security/home/
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=826955

    Jupiter Jones [MVP]
    An easier way to read newsgroup messages:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/using/newsgroups/setup.asp
    http://dts-l.org/index.html

    Jupiter Jones [MVP], Sep 16, 2003