Mr Fixit

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
A turntable using a moving magnet or moving coil cartridge needs a step up amplifier referred to as a phono stage or phono preamp. I have two, one using valves for my 'main' turntable and a 'solid state' unit for my secondary deck.

Recently the solid state Pro-Ject phono stage failed. The fault was both channels had developed a very nasty hum, one channel had a louder hum than the other.

I took a swift look inside and noted that the greater majority of components were surface mount which are almost impossible to remove and replace so put it down to bad luck and put the unit aside and accepted I'd have to replace it. I purchased it a little over 4 years ago for £119.00, it's now £139.00, this one Here.

I got to thinking though and thought it would be worth checking the external PSU as faulty adapters are often the cause of hums developing. I was surprised to find the adapter/PSU was in fact just a transformer giving 17V AC. This meant smoothing (components changing AC to DC) had to be onboard in the unit itself so I took another look. There I saw a pair of easily replaceable capacitors directly next to the AC input, each 470uF 25V.

A quick rummage in my junk/really useful parts and I found a pair of 470uF 35V capacitors which fitted. So I fitted them (grammatical note, I know some folk just say 'fit' but I like to use the old term 'fitted'. 'Fit' is what young girlies call desirable young men/partners, after all).

And it worked :dance: So that's a few quid saved eh? Me one happy bunny :) One of the old caps was dead short.

However, this temporary breakdown prompted me to gather the parts for a VSPS (Very Simple Phono Stage using an NE5532 IC) and also order a pre-assembled phono stage PCB from China This one. Both use a 12-0-12 PSU which I've already made and cased, next step will be the making of the VSPS on veroboard. This is a hobby after all :)

Here's a couple of pix of the unit after the new capacitors were fitted:

8921d1408046358-mr-fixit-post001.jpg

8922d1408046364-mr-fixit-post002.jpg

Attachments

• post001.jpg
    post001.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 568
  • post002.jpg
    post002.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 488

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I gotta be honest, I never heard of one of those gizmos, probably because I haven't carried out bench repairs at component level for many years now.

Just had a look at the video Here and I think one would definitely be an asset.

But until something comes along that's really worth saving (financially) I'll hold off purchase.

Thanks for alerting me to these things.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Your link isn't working for me :confused:

I did notice when I searched there were some units for sale under £40 but most were priced at around £120

Reaction score
Yeah I bought mine on Ebay they are fantastic things. A must for SMD/SMT work

If you don't own a Infra red station these are the next best thing for BGA work and all surface mount stuff

I think mine cost me about £65 because I had a money off voucher at the time. It should have been £80ish

Attachments

• 2014-08-14-847.jpg
    2014-08-14-847.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 258
Reaction score
Personally I want one of these PIC 1

Unfortunately I'll have to settle for the cheaper one

Attachments

• $T2eC16F,!zUFIclWd0(6BSTTm8(8mg~~60_12.JPG
    $T2eC16F,!zUFIclWd0(6BSTTm8(8mg~~60_12.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 243
  • $(KGrHqJ,!mIFGrfs+ko2BR1ih)ctKQ~~60_12.JPG
    $(KGrHqJ,!mIFGrfs+ko2BR1ih)ctKQ~~60_12.JPG
    32.1 KB · Views: 246

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Good detective work there Flops - and a decent chunk of change saved :D.

Did the caps look dodgy or did you just have a gut feeling that they would be the most likely thing to cause the hum?

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Did the caps look dodgy or did you just have a gut feeling that they would be the most likely thing to cause the hum?

Bit of each really, one cap was bowed at the top, oddly that wasn't the faulty one.

This unit has no power switch btw, which means it had been powered up permanently for around 50 months, I don't suppose that helped.

Thinking about fitting an inline switch in the power cord.

Reaction score
Your just the person in need floppybootstomp to mend the radio in the tractor!
Stopped working a week after the warranty expired!!

Reaction score
Your just the person in need floppybootstomp to mend the radio in the tractor!
Stopped working a week after the warranty expired!!

:cry:Aint that always the way, I think you farmers usually repair things with a big hammer and a blow torch :thumb:

Last edited:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
you need a duster ... :lol:

That I do sir, that I do. There's nowt like a close up and personal picture to show up all those little particles of human skin detritus.

And ooooh... you should just see the state of my window ledges :eek:

Ask a Question