Moving the role of File/Print Server to New Win2k3 Box !!!!!!

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Networking' started by Harry, Nov 2, 2007.

  1. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Hi!

    Can anybody give step-by-step on how to move the role of a Print/File
    Server from one Windows Server 2003 box to another ?

    I basically have 3 Server in our office

    1) DCSRV01 - Win2k3 Domain Controller
    2) EXSRV01 - Exchange - 2003 ( Additional DC)
    3) FPSRV01 - Win2k3 - File and Print Server

    I will be setting up a new Storage Server and wish to transfer the role of
    FPSRV01 to the new Storage Server with less or no changes being done on the
    Client computers.

    Pl suggest
    Thank you
    Harry

    Harry, Nov 2, 2007

  2. Hello Harry,

    Printmigrator form MS and xxcopy or robocopy for copying the files including
    the security permissions.

    http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsServer2003/techinfo/overview/printmigrator3.1.mspx

    http://www.xxcopy.com/index.htm

    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...69-57ff-4ae7-96ee-b18c4790cffd&displaylang=en

    You have to check about the mappings you create for the users to the network
    shares, that a new servername is in use.

    Best regards

    Meinolf Weber
    no rights.
    ** HELP us help YOU!!! http://www.dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Meinolf Weber, Nov 2, 2007

  3. Harry

    Harry Guest

    Hi! Mr. Weber,
    Thank you very much for the links - will do some testing in test environment
    first.
    Appreciate your help .
    Thank you
    Regards
    Harry

    Harry, Nov 3, 2007
  4. Hello Harry,

    Testing is always a good idea, before going to production network.

    Meinolf Weber, Nov 3, 2007