Windows Vista Moving/Removing shortcuts

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Reading Flops' Blog (which is very enjoyable, btw :nod: ) it inspired me to clean-up my own desktop by moving shortcuts to the quick launch bar, but I seem to have run into a slight problem.

To "test" I moved my Core Temp icon from the desktop to the quick launch area. Then I deleted the remaining desktop icon. When I clicked on my new quick launch icon for Core Temp, a box popped up telling me:

The item 'Core Temp.exe' that this shortcut refers to has been deleted. However, it may be restored from the recycle bin. Do you want to restore the file, or delete this shortcut?

So I restored it, then tried using the "send to" option, choosing Local Disc C: but after then deleting the icon again, I got exactly the same message when I tried to launch Core Temp.

I am obviously missing something, or not doing it correctly, so please can anyone enlighten me? I'm just puzzled now :blush:

Thank you guys :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Find the original .EXE file ... typing CoreTemp in the Globe search should find it ... then Right-Click the file & just drag-n-drop to the Quick Launch bar, release the mouse button, and choose, Copy Here.

Make sure the task bar is unlocked.

;)

destructions written with FBS in mind

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hi Mucks - I just tried that and it works..... but only if I don't delete Core Temp from the desktop. When I delete it, it then will not load and I just get that message again. I have obviously made a boo-boo somewhere along the line - could it be because I sometimes save applications to the desktop (intended to be a convenience) do you think? Trying hard to think of reasons. It attaches to the quick launch easily enough.... just seems to need it's "parent" so-to-speak. :)

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
If you right click on the file on the desktop and go to properties, is it a shortcut or an application? If it's a shortcut, just drag it on to the quick launch bar with a right click (rather than a left) and "move" rather than "copy". It appears as if you are creating a shortcut to a shortcut of a file, and then removing the middle part. :thumb:

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
... could it be because I sometimes save applications to the desktop (intended to be a convenience) do you think?
In my book, that's a big no no ... is what MS invented the Downloads folder for. Actually, I invented that folder, MS nicked me idea. :D

As it is a .EXE file on your desktop, me have feeling is of trepidation ... EXE files are, executable. A wrong click on the mouse and ... oops!

Suggest, in future, you download to the Downloads folder, that then makes it, easy to find, backup, extract .ZIPs to a new folder within Downloads ... and is, good housekeeping. :D

Move it ... :thumb:

When you delete a .EXE off the desktop, in your case CoreTemp, you are deleting the program, not a shortcut. No program, no workie. ;)

user.gif

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Hmmm, I had a feeling it might be due to that, because other shortcuts have been moved to the quick launch area without any problems.

Yes, I shall have to change my habits and re-direct my downloads :nod: Thank you Mucks :D

Ask a Question