Moving .ost file from old to new computers

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Installation' started by The_professor, Feb 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I work in a large organisation that has need to move from .ost files from an
    older device being replaced to the new device. We are using XP,
    Office/Outlook 2003/ and Exchange 2007. We have recently enabled Cached
    Mode, as a part of our upgrade procedure we back up the .ost file from the
    old machine to a network share. That .ost file is then copied to the new
    machine and the Outlook profile configured to use the copied .ost file. Our
    initial testing seem prove this was a workable scenriao. Now, I am seeing
    the following error:

    "Outlook is using an old copy of your Offline Folder file (.ost). Exit
    Outlook, delete the .ost file, and restart Outlook. A new file will be
    automatically created the next time you initiate a send/recieve. "

    There is a MS article 872930 that describes how the deploy the .oab file for
    Cached Mode. I simply want to use a file that is already out there and
    contains 98% of the data that the end user needs.

    Has anyone tried this before and gotten it to work?
     
    The_professor, Feb 26, 2009
    #1
    1. Advertisements

  2. The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST from
    has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the seed
    OST that you wanted to use.

    "The_professor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I work in a large organisation that has need to move from .ost files from
    >an
    > older device being replaced to the new device. We are using XP,
    > Office/Outlook 2003/ and Exchange 2007. We have recently enabled Cached
    > Mode, as a part of our upgrade procedure we back up the .ost file from the
    > old machine to a network share. That .ost file is then copied to the new
    > machine and the Outlook profile configured to use the copied .ost file.
    > Our
    > initial testing seem prove this was a workable scenriao. Now, I am seeing
    > the following error:
    >
    > "Outlook is using an old copy of your Offline Folder file (.ost). Exit
    > Outlook, delete the .ost file, and restart Outlook. A new file will be
    > automatically created the next time you initiate a send/recieve. "
    >
    > There is a MS article 872930 that describes how the deploy the .oab file
    > for
    > Cached Mode. I simply want to use a file that is already out there and
    > contains 98% of the data that the end user needs.
    >
    > Has anyone tried this before and gotten it to work?
     
    neo [mvp outlook], Feb 28, 2009
    #2
    1. Advertisements

  3. Neo,

    Let me see if I understand this correctly;

    I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
    Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost file
    in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I described
    because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer XP1.
    Correct?


    "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

    > The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST from
    > has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the seed
    > OST that you wanted to use.
    >
     
    The_professor, Mar 3, 2009
    #3
  4. Correct.

    "The_professor" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > Neo,
    >
    > Let me see if I understand this correctly;
    >
    > I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
    > Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
    > file
    > in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
    > described
    > because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
    > XP1.
    > Correct?
    >
    >
    > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
    >
    >> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST
    >> from
    >> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the
    >> seed
    >> OST that you wanted to use.
    >>
     
    neo [mvp outlook], Mar 4, 2009
    #4
  5. Thanks for the help, Neo. I am testing and will post the results.

    "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:

    > Correct.
    >
    > "The_professor" <> wrote in message
    > news:...
    > > Neo,
    > >
    > > Let me see if I understand this correctly;
    > >
    > > I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
    > > Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
    > > file
    > > in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
    > > described
    > > because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
    > > XP1.
    > > Correct?
    > >
    > >
    > > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > >> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST
    > >> from
    > >> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the
    > >> seed
    > >> OST that you wanted to use.
    > >>

    >
    >
     
    The_professor, Mar 4, 2009
    #5
  6. Neo - You are a genius!! Your answer is 100% accurate! After a hours of
    running n circles on this issue, this was the answer I was looking for.
    Thanks for your help!

    "The_professor" wrote:

    > Thanks for the help, Neo. I am testing and will post the results.
    >
    > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
    >
    > > Correct.
    > >
    > > "The_professor" <> wrote in message
    > > news:...
    > > > Neo,
    > > >
    > > > Let me see if I understand this correctly;
    > > >
    > > > I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
    > > > Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
    > > > file
    > > > in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
    > > > described
    > > > because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
    > > > XP1.
    > > > Correct?
    > > >
    > > >
    > > > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
    > > >
    > > >> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST
    > > >> from
    > > >> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the
    > > >> seed
    > > >> OST that you wanted to use.
    > > >>

    > >
    > >
     
    The_professor, Mar 9, 2009
    #6
  7. The_professor

    Guest

    On Monday, March 9, 2009 12:14:02 PM UTC-7, The_professor wrote:
    > Neo - You are a genius!! Your answer is 100% accurate! After a hours of
    > running n circles on this issue, this was the answer I was looking for.
    > Thanks for your help!
    >
    > "The_professor" wrote:
    >
    > > Thanks for the help, Neo. I am testing and will post the results.
    > >
    > > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
    > >
    > > > Correct.
    > > >
    > > > "The_professor" <> wrote in message
    > > > news:...
    > > > > Neo,
    > > > >
    > > > > Let me see if I understand this correctly;
    > > > >
    > > > > I backup a user's ost file at 09:00 from computer XP1. Customer reopens
    > > > > Outlook and continues working. I build computer XP2 and place the .ost
    > > > > file
    > > > > in the appropriate directory. However, I will receive the error I
    > > > > described
    > > > > because the customer continued working on the original .ost on computer
    > > > > XP1.
    > > > > Correct?
    > > > >
    > > > >
    > > > > "neo [mvp outlook]" wrote:
    > > > >
    > > > >> The error message just means that computer you took a copy of the OST
    > > > >> from
    > > > >> has started Outlook again and sync'd with Exchange. This destroys the
    > > > >> seed
    > > > >> OST that you wanted to use.
    > > > >>
    > > >
    > > >


    Did you have to resave the old ost?
     
    , Jun 22, 2012
    #7
  8. The_professor

    Guest

    The reason why, OLD .ost files cannot be directly move into new devices is that when Outlook is used in Cached Exchange Mode with Exchange server thenOST files is created with particular profile. Exchange server encrypts the.ost with same profile only. If old profile is modified then data from ostfiles will be inaccessible and you will get error messages.

    To solve the error and to access old ost file on new system, you are required to convert old ost file to pst file and then import PST files any new computer.

    For recovering all data from old ost files PCVITA OST Converter software isthe right choice. The software extract entire data (emails, contacts, calendars, notes, lists, tasks etc) from old ost files into Outlook PST files without missing any data value.
     
    , Aug 9, 2013
    #8
    1. Advertisements

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Geoff Schaller

    Extracting old mailboxes from an OST file

    Geoff Schaller, Jun 17, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Installation
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    179
    Geoff Schaller
    Jun 17, 2004
  2. Guest

    Can I use a old OST file to rebuild the folders after a exchange l

    Guest, Jun 21, 2004, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Installation
    Replies:
    4
    Views:
    4,250
    ostppt
    Jul 18, 2011
  3. Guest

    how to retrieve an old *.ost file to new *.pst file please help (.

    Guest, Feb 17, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Installation
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    228
    Hal Hostetler [MVP S/U]
    Feb 17, 2005
  4. Guest

    How do I fix my Outlook.ost to be used rather than Outlook0.ost

    Guest, Jul 11, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Installation
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    8,745
    Vince Averello [MVP-Outlook]
    Jul 11, 2005
  5. Guest

    Moving a .OST file to a different partition

    Guest, Nov 1, 2005, in forum: Microsoft Outlook Installation
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    775
    ostpstconversion
    Apr 19, 2011
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Share This Page