Movies about Computers

Reaction score
I have an expanding collection of movie DVD's (over 600 now) and among them i have a mini-collection of 'cyber' movies: those about or relating to computers, and computer game spin-offs. Does anyone know of any that they think i should add to my collection ? Here's my current list....
The Matrix trilogy
Johnnny Mnemonic
Pi
Strange days
Virtuosity
Avalon
Tron
eXistenz
St John's Wort
Lawnmower Man 1 and 2
The Net
Wargames
Antitrust
Hackers
Cypher
AI
Sneakers
Swordfish
Tombraider 1 and 2
Resident evil 1 and 2

Some may not really belong in the list and I have other movies that might....Minority report etc...
But i'm especially interested to hear about some of the more obscure ones that anyone has heard of or can recommend.

TIA. 1nt.:thumb:

Reaction score
How about "The Cube" not quite about computers per say but in the same genre. 5 people all having diiferent jobsa are locked inside a gigantic cube made up of several interconnecting, MOVING rooms, which may or may not be booby trapted(including, flying arrows, poison gas, slicing laser beams). In the begining you meet the five people and learn thier jobs: cop, theif,teacher,college student, mentaly handicapped person, and an architect(who you found out helped build it)

Reaction score
Yup, Raje, i got that one too m8. Also seen Cube 2 (Hypercube) and decided not to get it on DVD. I'm not sure I'd class 'Cube' as a 'cyber' movie, that's why I didn't include it in my list - butI can see what u mean:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
What about I-ROBOT should that go in the list its kinda cyber....

Also 2001 A Space Oddysey

Demon seed

Electric Dreams

D.A.R.Y.L

Cyborg

Think there all artificial intelligence based...just a few off the top of my head...hope that helps..;)

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
What about I-ROBOT should that go in the list its kinda cyber....

Also 2001 A Space Oddysey

Demon seed

Electric Dreams

D.A.R.Y.L

Cyborg

Think there all artificial intelligence based...just a few off the top of my head...hope that helps..;)

2001 - Got it - cool movie, yup it should be in my list;)
Demon Seed - not got it and ur right - it's a missing link:thumb:
Electric Dreams, DARYL and Cyborg - I don't have any of these. The last two are moving more towards robots than computers and i try to draw a distinction between the two.

'Electric Dreams' - heard of this but don't know much about it...please tell me more:thumb:

crazylegs

Member Extraordinaire
Reaction score
'Electric Dreams' - heard of this but don't know much about it...please tell me more:thumb:

Not got Electric Dreams...Shame on you..:p

An artificially intelligent PC and his human owner find themselves in a romantic rivalry over a woman...

It also has some wicked soundtracks by none other than george o Moroder of synth pop legend from the eighties....Check it out it's a great film and funny too..:)

Reaction score
crazylegs said:
Not got Electric Dreams...Shame on you..:p

An artificially intelligent PC and his human owner find themselves in a romantic rivalry over a woman...

It also has some wicked soundtracks by none other than george o Moroder of synth pop legend from the eighties....Check it out it's a great film and funny too..:)

Mmmm..i have heard of it now u remind me of the plot...but i think the romance between computer and woman put me off trying to get it. Never seen it though - is it any good as a movie, or does it just fit the genre?

Reaction score
Quadophile said:

No offence intended Quad, but I wouldn't class that as a 'cyber' movie even though it's computer-related. I enjoyed watching it many years ago, but wouldn't buy it on DVD.;)

Quadophile

Hon. Acoustical Engineer
Reaction score
1nteger said:
No offence intended Quad, but I wouldn't class that as a 'cyber' movie even though it's computer-related. I enjoyed watching it many years ago, but wouldn't buy it on DVD.;)

Yes you are absolutely correct, I just was not sure what you intended to say :)

Reaction score
What about S1mone? A movie director or fashion designer designs a model/ actress on his comp after his leading lady walks off set, but she becomes a mega-star and he tries to stop ppl finding out about her. Or something. Not seen it, but linda like the idea.

What else... Hackers has been mentioned, The OC? (sorry, not funny) Running man makes me think of that kinda thing. Terminator? Depends on how you want to define it...

Cache-man

Wannabe Webmaster
Reaction score
'The HitchHikers Guide to the Galaxy' is loosley related to the odd computer, and features several huge computers that ran programs for millions of years.
Thats all I can think off of the top of my head, as you already have listed all the other ones I would have thought of.

Reaction score
S1mone and Hitchhiker's guide - not seen the first but was aware of it (Al pacino?) and well aware of the second of course, but again I don't really class them as cyber movies. My suspicions are being confirmed - i have just about all the best ones available...I wish there were more movies about hacking, artificial intelligence, etc that concentrated on the computing side rather than CGI...there's something fascinating about the culture that gets to me. perhaps I'm mad?:eek:

Reaction score
hey you guys, great movies especially Pi!
i was wondering if integer would know where i could download a complete list of movies, or near complete.
The list needs The name,year,director and main actopr/actress.
Also a list of all actresses/actors.

Reaction score
Computer movies

I want one those computers tha you log on check your email and announces 'you have mail' with a big blinky flashy box.

Where do you get them from? It must be true it they have it in the movies.

Laughing ironically

Reaction score
masterkeedu said:
hey you guys, great movies especially Pi!
i was wondering if integer would know where i could download a complete list of movies, or near complete.
The list needs The name,year,director and main actopr/actress.
Also a list of all actresses/actors.

I always use the Internet Movie Database (imdb.com)...it's the ultimate source of all things movie-related. DVD sales sites like sendit, Amazon, etc are good for checking lists as well.

Reaction score
Captainpants said:
I want one those computers tha you log on check your email and announces 'you have mail' with a big blinky flashy box.

Where do you get them from? It must be true it they have it in the movies.

Laughing ironically

Do you have AOL ??? that will give you plenty of blinking boxes, a guy who says Welcome, You have mail.....and eventually give your computer a mind of its own.

Reaction score
I want better hacking movies too....just don't think we'll get one

1nteger said:
...I wish there were more movies about hacking, artificial intelligence, etc that concentrated on the computing side rather than CGI...there's something fascinating about the culture that gets to me. perhaps I'm mad?:eek:

The sad truth is, we may never get it. I think Swordfish is about as close as your going to get. We are never going to have a movie where they tell you the real ins and outs of hacking, and we get to see real live hackers get into a bank or something, and then run to evade police, change thier identities. Did you see hackers.....remember the images they used to use to 'describe' what hacking looked like. They had to make something up to please the public. People aren't going to be impressed with matrix code.

I agree I wish their was a big budget movie, mixing a lot of these others together. But the nations are scared. They fear promoting more hacking, our generations are learning faster and faster. They don't want to give the children any ideas. Give a 10year old a video game controler, ANY video game controller and in 20min they have everything figured out,memoerised and deploying things simultaneously. Give a game controler to a 30year old, and your looking at a much, much longer time. The 30year old is afraid of mistakes so will experiment less.