Move to new Server..?

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Setup' started by Kent J, Nov 29, 2008.

  1. Kent J

    Kent J Guest

    Hi all,

    I have an old Win2003 server which I intend to replace with a new one.
    The new server has Win2003 server sp2, Raid5,16 Gb Ram, 2*Quad processors.

    The filebackup included a file- and system backup.
    On the new server I ran a restore on the filebackup.
    My plan was reuse all the old settings and installed program.

    Everything looked good until i restarted the new server.
    Before I could login I had to verify the system licencensumber. Then I
    was prompted to reinstall some drivers.

    After a second restart Windows failed to start up.

    I guess I have done something wrong somewhere.
    What is the proper way to do this?
    How can I fix the problem?

    Kent J.

    Kent J, Nov 29, 2008

  2. Kent J

    Dave Patrick Guest

    These articles may help.

    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/249694
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/824125

    --

    Regards,

    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows]
    http://www.microsoft.com/protect

    Dave Patrick, Nov 29, 2008

  3. Kent J

    Kent J Guest

    Thanks Dave!

    But: "Expand and copy the correct Hal.dll and Ntoskrnl.exe files from
    the Windows Server 2003 SP1 CD to the Windows Server 2003-based computer
    before you restore the backup."

    ....how can do this?
    I'm trying to boot from a Win2003 CD and it starts to load but after two
    seconds I'll still get:

    "Windows could not start because of an error in the software. Please

    Kent J.

    Kent J, Nov 29, 2008
  4. Kent J

    Dave Patrick Guest