Motherboard taking ages to load

Reaction score
I have just built a new pc and it was working fine for a few days then one day i restarted it and the motherboard screen took ages to load. It is an ASUS P5K-E WiFi AP and it hangs on the Ai booting screen for about 5 minutes before moving on. Not a huge problem but just irritating when restarting, and since it used to only take about 10 seconds its just a bit worrying.

Any idea why this might be?

Reaction score
Chris_huh said:
I have just built a new pc and it was working fine for a few days then one day i restarted it and the motherboard screen took ages to load. It is an ASUS P5K-E WiFi AP and it hangs on the Ai booting screen for about 5 minutes before moving on. Not a huge problem but just irritating when restarting, and since it used to only take about 10 seconds its just a bit worrying.

Any idea why this might be?
Motherboard Screen??:confused:
Dont you mean BIOS?

Could be a virus, have you got protection?

Reaction score
Probably BIOS then. I have AVG on and use vista (and have now also installed ubuntu, but that was after it started taking ages). I'll do a scan with AVG to see if it comes up with anything.

Reaction score
If its lagging on the BIOS screen I doubt it will be the operating system. The Post boot screen is checking all is ok with the components on the motherboard sort of like a mini hardware check before the software system installs.

If it freezing for a while on tht probabilty is something wrong with motherboard or certain components attached to it.

Try disconnecting components one by one

first dvd-rom drive
all extra Harddrives except you boot drive (C)
if it still continues to do it disconnect all drives and just leave your gfx card in
if it still does it i would say a system memory problem

There are plenty of utilites out there that can check you board and another hardware attached to it. Try going to the board manufacturer first and looking for a utility that will check their board

Good luck

Last edited:
Reaction score
I disconnected everything and it sped up. One of the IDE cables was broken so i replaced that one and it seems fine now. Thanks

Ask a Question