more on removing the Symantec pig

Reaction score
You may recall that I got advice here on getting rid of Symantec Corp, and replacing it with Anti Vir. So far, so good. However, one side effect of the laborious manual uninstall routine provided by Symantec (a hundred or so registry edits) is that when I right click on many files or icons on the desktop or in Explore windows, the Microsoft Installer pops up...sometimes momentarily, sometimes until I click Close. Seems to me there is some registry entry that prompts this. Any advice on how to stop it?

Reaction score
Thanks, Davey, for pointing out that I should contact Symantec. But I've tried and tried! Just can't find the friggin' link on their site to allow me to write to them. I've tried the phone thing, but they keep asking my "account number" or other proof that I have an active fee-paying account ... which I don't. I just want their stuff off the machine I inherited.

So do you (or anyone else) have a link to the source that will let me email Symantec? (I've tried the Norton Removal Tool, but it doesn't clear up the Windows Installer problem. Will next try the MS MSI cleanup utility.

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
(e-mail address removed)

Try that one. They are rather tough to get in touch with. :wall:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks again, Davey. I've written to them, but it just bounced back undeliverable. You are right ... VERY hard to get hold of!

This head-banging emoticon reflects my sentiments exactly. :wall:

daveydoom

Trusted Advisor
Reaction score
FYI, the Corporate removal tool is called "NoNav" and it can be found with Google. ;)

(There are different versions)

Reaction score
finally Symantec is GONE!

After painfully uninstalling Symantec through MS Uninstall, Symantec manual uninstall, and several Norton uninstall tools (like NoNAV), I discovered that the seemingly unstoppable attempt of my machine to reinstall the long deleted software was a Windows Installer problem. MS has an article describing a fix:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290301

Once you install their attached tool, you run the app and it gives you the choice to delete any or all of the programs the Windows Installer utility has stored. I just highlighted the Symantec AntiVirus app, and executed the utility .... and it executed Symantec forever. Yea!
icon7.gif
:thumb:

Ask a Question