    device was connected to that port. I have no idea what those devices might
    be. She has only a printer and monitor, no other devices. Can someone help
    me with this? I'd appreciate it.

    Pam, Jul 20, 2007

  2. Pam

    David B. Guest

    You don't have a proper understanding of how plug and play modems work, so I
    would cease with your port adjustments so as not to make matters worse. A
    PnP modem WILL NOT be assigned to an installed COM port, it is assigned to a
    virtual port which will not be listed in device manager. Have you tried a
    system restore point? Have you contacted AOL support to see if they have in
    fact blocked you for what ever reason?

    --

    ----

    David B., Jul 20, 2007

  3. Pam

    Ghostrider Guest

    Pam wrote:

    > My friend's computer has suddenly quit connecting to AOL. The message she
    > gets is as follows: "The computer's modem is being blocked from connecting.
    > Error: 77-RF-JT". I spent a couple of hours trying to get it to connect,
    > but I'm stumped. I tried uninstalling it, restarting the computer, and then
    > saw the "New Hardware Found" message but no installation wizard. I checked
    > the device manager and couldn't see any kind of hardware conflicts, but I
    > also didn't see anything that told me that the modem was on any of the
    > communication ports either. When I checked the modem properties, however,
    > it said that the modem was connected to Com 3. I tried changing to another
    > port several times, but I always got the same message saying that another
    > device was connected to that port. I have no idea what those devices might
    > be. She has only a printer and monitor, no other devices. Can someone help
    > me with this? I'd appreciate it.

    Interesting error. Of course, one of the first things to do is go to
    Google and do a search. Got Norton installed? Consensus is possible
    blocking by the firewall or a firewall add-on for calls to AOL.

    Ghostrider, Jul 20, 2007
  4. Pam

    Pam Guest

    She had already talked with AOL before calling me to come over. She watched
    what I did and told me that it was the same thing she was told by AOL
    support. They finally told her to call eMachines. When she did that, they
    wouldn't even talk to her until she paid them $40, hence the call to me.
    The first thing I tried was system restore, and it did no good. Thanks for
    the suggestions

    Pam, Jul 21, 2007
  5. Pam

    Pam Guest

    I didn't think to check firewalls or anti-virus programs. I'll do that the
    next time I go to her house. She called me later in the afternoon and said
    that she had talked with a friend who said that it could have been lightning
    coming in on the phone wire. Her house was struck a week ago, and it
    destroyed her cable TV converter box. Could it be the fault of lightning?

    Pam, Jul 21, 2007
  6. Pam

    Ghostrider Guest

    Pam wrote:

    > I didn't think to check firewalls or anti-virus programs. I'll do that the
    > next time I go to her house. She called me later in the afternoon and said
    > that she had talked with a friend who said that it could have been lightning
    > coming in on the phone wire. Her house was struck a week ago, and it
    > destroyed her cable TV converter box. Could it be the fault of lightning?

    The modem can certainly be fried by a nearby lightning strike since one
    does not usually protect telephone lines. However, the modem is OK if the
    user can connect to other sites in the Internet.

    Ghostrider, Jul 21, 2007
  7. Pam

    RalfG Guest

    A lot of UPS's include telephone line surge protection. Some have surge
    protection for TV cable as well. A direct strike on the house could still
    kill all the electronics that are plugged in at the time. Been there.

    RalfG, Jul 22, 2007
  8. Pam

    Pam Guest

    Thanks so much for all the input. She's going to buy a new modem and see if
    that fixes the problem.

    Pam, Jul 22, 2007