    think it does.)

    Thanks in advance,
    Jay

    Jay Miller, Dec 2, 2003

  2. Jay Miller

    Jake Guest

    Hi

    I haven't had a problem with Sonic MyDVD 5.0, but then I haven't compared it
    to any other MPEG2 encoder and I've only burned a couple of DVDs. What are
    the problems that you get?

    Jake

    Jake, Dec 2, 2003

  3. Jay Miller

    Jay Miller Guest

    I don't have any problems - I am just curious if I can
    speed up my DVD making process by just trusting the Sonic
    Encoder and not using TMPGEnc.

    Jay Miller, Dec 2, 2003
  4. Jay Miller

    Jake Guest

    Fair enough. 'Fraid I wouldn't know the answer to that one as I've only
    used the Sonic encoder, as I mentioned. It's slow going, but I suspect any
    limitations are processor/memory related and not as dependent on the
    encoder.

    I plan to use Adobe's encoder (in Premiere) for my next project, but since
    this is a MM2 newsgroup and Premiere's an expensive bit of kit that's in a
    different league then it's probably not relevant posting my thoughts on it
    here.

    Jake

    Jake, Dec 2, 2003
  5. Jay and Jake,

    Good quality encoding takes time. So you need to schedule the encoding
    sessions to give it the time.

    I use MyDVD 4.5, TMPGEnc and Premiere but I'm not much into making MPEG2
    files and DVDs. I usually am going in the other direction.

    Test the process with a smaller video file. Go thru each app to get the
    MPEG2 file, time the encoding session, put both on the same DVD. Watch it on
    TV and assess the differences.

    For low cost encoders TMPGEnc continues to get the most acclaim. It nicely
    defers to you if you want to use the computer to do other things during the
    encoding session, continuing in the background but giving you enough space.
    And you can opt to have it shut down your computer when the session is done,
    for when you let it go overnight.

    My experience with Premiere is such that it provides a zillion features but
    sub-optimizes many of them. I tend to prefer software that specializes in
    one task and does a great job at it. So TMPGEnc gets my nod here.

    PapaJohn

    PapaJohn \(MVP\), Dec 2, 2003
  6. Jay Miller

    Jake Guest

    Yes - as I have discovered MPEG2 encoding takes a long time and is best left
    to when the PC's not needed, e.g. overnight or when I'm going out.

    I have to say I am happy with the quality of the results from MyDVD, so I
    will probably stick with that rather than use Premiere's encoder based on
    your experience. I've considered trying TMPGenc, but I quite like the
    'one-shot' convenience that MyDVD gives me.

    Jake

    Jake, Dec 2, 2003