    What did I do wrong? Do I have to use the Win XP boot disks to be able to install it? or a Win 98 disk? There is no OS on it now because I toasted it
    Thank you in advance

    Josh

    Guest, Jun 7, 2004

  2. Clean Install Windows XP

    [Courtesy of MS-MVP Michael Stevens]

    --
    Carey Frisch
    Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP - Shell/User

    Be Smart! Protect your PC!

    "Josh aka InTrouble" <> wrote in message:

    | Hi,
    |
    | I tried to install Win XP Home via CD on a drive that had Win 95 on it. At first I tried to install XP over
    top of 95...that didn't work. So I ended up trying to format the drive, then install XP. It would almost get
    through the whole installation, then would come up with the error "Corrupt hivesys.inf file. Windows XP
    installation cannot continue. Press enter to restart." or something to that affect.

    Carey Frisch [MVP], Jun 7, 2004

    I followed the link and tried to do a clean install. It still gave me the same error.
    "Line 1 of hivesys.inf is corrupt. Windows did not install. Press f3 to restart your computer

    Any other ideas

    ----- Carey Frisch [MVP] wrote: ----

    Clean Install Windows X
    http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/cleanxpinstall.htm