Missing Config File

Gordon T

If I power down my system and attempt to restart it I will
get a boot error, "Cannot find
WINNT/SYSTEM32/CONFIG/SYSTEM" even though the file does
exist on my C: drive. Normal repair and recovery routines
will not solve the problem, only a complete re-install of
the OS works.

I have change hard drives to no avail thinking it might be
a hardware issue.

Any ideas?

Gordon

Ralph Farmer [MSFT}

Gordon,
It really does sound like you have a hardware issue. The reason for the
error is that your system registry hive is becoming corrupt when you shut
down and therefore cannot be loaded during boot up.
Running NT backup and selecting create erd and then selecting also back up
the registry will place a copy of the registry in the
%systemroot%\repair\regback folder.
You can use recovery console to copy the system from that folder to the
%systemroot%\system32\config folder and get back in. But the real answer is
to try to determine what is causing the corruption when you shut down
(controller most likely).
Ralph

Server Platforms

Newsgroup purposes only.