    5.9? Any model recommendations?

    Thanks,
    Alan

    Alan Cobb, Mar 3, 2007

  2. Alan Cobb

    Robert Moir Guest

    "Alan Cobb" wrote in message
    news:...
    > Anyone know the minimum cost for a DirectX 9 graphics card that can
    > achieve a graphics /gaming graphics WEI of 3.0? 5.0? 5.9? To get
    > Aero on Vista you apparently need a minimum of 3.0, while 5.9 is the
    > current maximum possible. Would an existing "gamer" $200 ($150?
    > $120?) DX9 card be able to get a graphics / gaming graphics WEIs of
    > 5.9? Any model recommendations?

    I've got a Radeon X1800XT w/ 256Mb ram on board and score 5.9 in desktop
    graphics and 5.8 in 3D graphics. At the moment, if I were buying a new card
    for Vista I'd get an NVIDIA 8800 series card because they're the only ones
    that would currently support DX10 in hardware, I believe. If you don't
    want/can't afford one of these I would stick with what you have for now and
    wait for more cards to appear with hardware DX10 support before handing over
    my money.

    No idea of what sort of scores you'd get but the NVIDIA 7600 and ATI Radeon
    X1600 would probably give you good middle of the range scores, and would
    certainly be more than ample for Aero.

    --
    Robert Moir
    http://www.rhymeswithgeek.com

    Robert Moir, Mar 4, 2007

  3. Alan Cobb

    Carl G Guest

    Hi Alan
    I have a performance score of 4.2 with a ATI X1300 video card , it is a PCI
    Express card though. they run about $115 here in US.
    It works great for me on Home premium.
    Hope this helps.

    --
    Carl G

    Carl G, Mar 5, 2007
  4. On Sat, 03 Mar 2007 15:30:46 -0800, Alan Cobb wrote:
    >Anyone know the minimum cost for a DirectX 9 graphics card that can
    >achieve a graphics /gaming graphics WEI of 3.0? 5.0? 5.9? To get
    >Aero on Vista you apparently need a minimum of 3.0, while 5.9 is the
    >current maximum possible. Would an existing "gamer" $200 ($150?
    >$120?) DX9 card be able to get a graphics / gaming graphics WEIs of
    >5.9? Any model recommendations?

    My Nvidia 7950GT with 256 RAM scores a 5.8/5.9. I think it was around
    $200 at NewEgg.

    -=Elden=-
    http://www.moondog.org

    Elden Fenison, Mar 5, 2007
  5. Alan Cobb

    Alan Cobb Guest

    Hi Robert,

    It looks like an 8800 GTX (640MB) is in the $600 range, a 8800 GTS
    with 640MB is in the $400 range and a 8800 GTS with 320MB is in the
    $300 range. (All those are ballpark figures).

    The site below has a "compare WEIs" thread. Unfortunately you have to
    join the forum (not that it's a big deal) to see the screen capture
    files with people's WEIs:

    http://www.jcxp.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=9832

    Alan Cobb

    Alan Cobb, Mar 5, 2007
  6. Alan Cobb

    I.P. Nichols Guest

    "Robert Moir" wrote

    > No idea of what sort of scores you'd get but the NVIDIA 7600 and ATI
    > Radeon X1600 would probably give you good middle of the range scores, and
    > would certainly be more than ample for Aero.

    I get 5.9/5.3 on an EVGA 7500GT 256MB and I paid $109 less $20 rebate. If
    not doing intensive gaming it should do the job quite nicely at a relativly
    low power consumption. Am running the Intel dual core e6300 overclocked to
    2.9GHz.

    If you must have DirectX10 support wait a few weeks for the nVidia 8600
    series which is the more affordable version of the 88oo rumored to cost
    perhaps as little as $159 for the low end 8600GS card.
    http://www.techspot.com/news/24400-nvidias-8600-series-cards-expected-within-a-few-months.html

    I.P. Nichols, Mar 6, 2007
  7. Alan Cobb

    I.P. Nichols Guest

    OPPS! That ahould be EVGA 7600GT 256MB card - sorry 'bout that..

    I.P. Nichols, Mar 6, 2007