    Reinstalling Outlook selecting the advanced installion

    What else might I try?

    thanks! Diane

    Guest, Jun 23, 2005

  2. Diane <> wrote:

    > One of my users has saved e-mail out to a pst file stored on the
    > server. When I upgraded your computer from Outlook 2000 to 2003, the
    > .pst is still accessible, however when you open a message there are
    > headers but no content in the body. Attachements are accessible as
    > well.

    How did you connect the old PST to Outlook? How was the original PST saved
    to the server?
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Jun 24, 2005

    The .pst was saved in the usual way but the location was changed to a mapped
    drive on the server. this way it is backed up nightly.

    The conection to the pst was made using the open data file on the File menu
    and connecting it to the server location.

    Guest, Jun 24, 2005
  4. Diane <> wrote:

    > The .pst was saved in the usual way

    And what way was that? I don't know your practices. Can you state your
    exact steps?

    > but the location was changed to a
    > mapped drive on the server. this way it is backed up nightly.

    Not necessarily. First, Microsoft doesn't support network-based PSTs. It
    can lead to data loss and corruption of the PST. Second, if you leave
    Outlook open, the PST cannot be reliably backed up. A good backup can be
    made only when Outlook is closed. The best way is to use the PFBACKUP tool
    from Microsofty and then move that backup copy to the network folder.

    > The conection to the pst was made using the open data file on the
    > File menu and connecting it to the server location.

    Which is the correct way.
    --
    Brian Tillman

    Brian Tillman, Jun 24, 2005
  5. Under 'Tools|Options|Preferences|E-mail Options', make sure the "Read all
    standard mail in plain text" checkbox is Not checked.

    Hal
    --
    Hal Hostetler, CPBE --

    Hal Hostetler [MVP-S/U], Jun 30, 2005