Migrate Outlook 2007 categories to new PC / PST file

Discussion in 'Microsoft Outlook Installation' started by Guest, Aug 23, 2007.

    A user has been upgraded to Outlook 2007. Now the user has a corrupted PST
    file that SCANPST will not fix. The data was exported to a new PST file, and
    the new PST file renamed as the original. The Categories did not move with
    the PST data. The contacts still have the category, but the All Categories
    tool shows six, unused, default colored categories, and the categories for
    actual contacts show (not in Master Category list). The colors are also not
    showing up.
    This is a workgroup environment, each user is allowed to have their own
    custom set of Categories, so there is no help from the Group Policy - Outlook
    template.
    I know how to export and import Categories in Outlook 2003 using regedit. I
    see that custom categories are listed in the same registry key for Outlook
    2007 (HKEY_Current_USER\Software\Microsoft\Office\12.0\Categories -
    MasterList.
    How does Microsoft plan that I can migrate my user’s Outlook 2007 Categories
    along with the rest of their Outlook data when the user gets a new PST file
    (or a new PC)?

    Guest, Aug 23, 2007

    BillR [MVP] Guest

    Your problem was probably caused by using the import feature. If you can
    open a PST it is better to do that then copy data to the new PST.

    --
    Bill R MVP

    BillR [MVP], Aug 23, 2007

    BillR, Thanks for the reply, however, your brief comment was not helpful.

    As I said previously, the old PST file had become corrupted so that
    Scanpst.exe could not fix it. So, continuing to open and use the corrupt file
    did not seem wise to me. I am unaware of any method of extracting user data
    (the important stuff) from a pst file except by exporting or importing from
    within Outlook. Please explain what exactly you think is the problem that the
    import/export feature creates, and what is the alterative method that
    Microsoft publishes?

    Also, I still need to know how Microsoft has planned that I should be
    migrating user Outlook data (PST, signatures, spam lists, rules, you know,
    the work product of the user.). Where has Microsoft published this
    information? Is there anyone who has this kind of knowledge to share?

    PS, I fixed the problem I was having with the categories by going to the
    Personal Folders (root) properties and selecting Upgrade to Color
    Categories... Why this should work and how it works I do not know. I would
    love to be pointed to a published source of information on the practical
    underpinings (registry keys, file locations, etc) for Outlook 2007.

    Thanks in again for your help.

    -DJ

    Guest, Aug 23, 2007
  4. David Jonathan <David > wrote:

    > A user has been upgraded to Outlook 2007. Now the user has a
    > corrupted PST file that SCANPST will not fix.

    If you need the data in this original PST, then you should Google for
    "Office Recovery" and purchase on of the many tools that are a lot smarter
    than SCANPST and may be able to repair the damaged PST when SCANPST cannot.
    Never export to or import from a PST. It's unnecessary and you can lose
    data.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman, Aug 23, 2007

    Brian, Thanks for the reply. So you are saying (while not answering any of my
    questions) that I should purchase the Office Recovery tool for $250, because
    why?

    I was able to export the data just fine What are the specific problems that
    I should expect to encounter using the built in import/export for Outlook?
    Where can I read more about this from a reliable source?

    I am begining to suspect that all you MVP types are just shills running
    folks over to expensive tool web sites.

    Guest, Aug 23, 2007

    BillR [MVP] Guest

    You are being told by people with experience. You wont' get Microsoft
    acknowledging the import issue publicly but they have been made aware of it
    during the beta testing (at least).
    The experience of MVP's here is such that we can see the shortcomings of
    Outlook and we know the 3rd party solutions that can help and we CAN
    recommend them.

    I personally wouldn't recommend a a 3rd party recovery tool due to the cost
    but I'm well aware that, for some, the dat is more important than the cost.
    Of course, those in a professional environment would be expected to have
    regular backups to avoid the issue altogether.

    Now, if you aren't going to take the advice of those with long-term
    involvement with Outlook then you are more than welcome to go out and Google
    for help yourself. The information is out there if you take the time to look
    for it.

    --
    Bill R MVP

    BillR [MVP], Aug 24, 2007

    BillR [MVP] Guest

    If you could use import then you could possibly open the PST file. Of
    course, being the professional you are you would have backed it up first.

    DON'T use import again or you risk the same issue.

    Rules have an Import and Export option.
    I'm not going to the extra hassle of looking up the links for "other" info
    you can back up with your attitude so you can go and Google that yourself.

    BillR [MVP], Aug 24, 2007
  8. David Jonathan <> wrote:

    > Brian, Thanks for the reply. So you are saying (while not answering
    > any of my questions) that I should purchase the Office Recovery tool
    > for $250, because why?
    >
    > I was able to export the data just fine

    Before you said that you couldn't open the original PST: "As I said
    previously, the old PST file had become corrupted so that Scanpst.exe could
    not fix it." Either the original file is good, implied by your statement
    above, or it's not. It can't be both. If you can export from a PST, it
    can't be corrupt. If it were, you wouldn't be able to open it to export
    anything. Based on your earlier statement that the ORIGINAL PST was
    corrupt, I was merely stating that if SCANPST can't handle it AND the data
    is very important, then you'll have to consider a commercial solution. Do
    so or don't do so. The choice is yours, but don't supply conflicting
    information.
    --
    Brian Tillman [MVP-Outlook]

    Brian Tillman, Aug 24, 2007

    OK, I have found the answer to my questions. Sue Mosher has an article on her
    blog where she lists all of the various Outlook settings files and their
    locations.

    The article is titled: Outlook's alphabet soup of settings files, posted
    July 12 (2007?)

    http://turtleflock-ol2007.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!C1013F1F9A99E3D8!583.entry

    She also states: _Rules and the master category list in Outlook 2007 are now
    stored in the user's primary data store, whether that's an Exchange mailbox
    or a Personal Folders .pst file._ .

    This probably explains why Sue's suggestion (in a different posting in this
    forum) to go to the Personal Folders (root) properties and select, Upgrade to
    Color
    Categories... worked to solve my Categories issue.

    Microsoft also has a couple of article's on this topic:
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HP100669141033.aspx?pid=CH100788841033

    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/outlook/HA012308921033.aspx

    Knowing the file locations is at least a good start on being able to have a
    plan for moving a user to a new PC and not loose too much of their personal
    information.
    Sue Mosher goes into more detail on this topic than the Microsoft offerings.
    I spent hours digging through TechNet, etc., and coming up with nothing,
    prior to finding Sue's blog post.
    Thanks Sue!

    David Jonathan

    Guest, Aug 24, 2007

    I wanted to reply too. David Jonathan did his homework! He posts a useful
    reply--unlike the MS MVP folks--whose comments, were in all honesty, immature
    disrespectful. Anyone who knows anything about computers knows MS has made
    it incredibly difficult to migrate emails, email settings, stationary, and so
    forth from one computer to another. The MVP folks were less than
    useful--shame on them!

    David does point folks in the right direction with the MS utility, which
    will back up the aforementioned settings. Boy, I'll tell you, it must be too
    much work for an MVP to put in a link to the MS utility.

    David, thanks for your useful reply! To the MVPs, shame on your arrogance
    and incestuous nature to keep such knowledge to a small community.

    Guest, Sep 22, 2007
  11. You failed to quote a post in a thread too old to contain the posts to which
    you are replying. Accordingly your comments are without meaning and out of
    context. They are also wrong. Any reader of these groups knows that no one
    has documented Microsoft's deficiencies in migrating PST files more often or
    more forcefully than the MVP's nor posted the solutions and workarounds more
    often.
    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Sep 22, 2007

    Russ,
    I am not a _reader of these groups_, (just an overworked IT Support guy), so
    I only come to these forums to try to find solutions to problems that I am
    trying to solve. I appreciate that MVP's take the time and trouble to try and
    help. Could you repost any links you are refering to regarding migrating PST
    (and personal user data), particularly as it it relates to Outlook 2007.
    If you have anything to useful to add to my solution post I would be much
    appreciative.

    Guest, Sep 23, 2007
  13. Sure. Most of the problems that arise in Outlook 2003 and 2007 are the
    result of the fact that both versions automatically create a new PST file
    and set it as the default every time you create a new profile. Outlook is
    very particular in how you can then migrate or reuse a previous PST file.
    You can't import it. You can't overwrite another PST file. You must open a
    previous PST file in the new profile, then you can either reuse it by
    setting it as the default, or copy the data from it into the current PST
    file. Details here:
    http://www.slipstick.com/config/backup.htm
    http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
    http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

    --
    Russ Valentine
    [MVP-Outlook]

    Russ Valentine [MVP-Outlook], Sep 23, 2007

    BillR, Sorry for the delay in replying, and my apologies for not being
    clearer in my original post. My style in posting is, generally, to provide
    background, and save my question for the end. (Applies here).
    I mentioned that the PST file had become corrupt just as background
    regarding how I had arrived at the Category Migration issue. Yes, there are
    nightly backups for the user in question (if the user leaves the PC on),
    however, like most users, this user is unwilling to lose any of today’s
    email.
    I have used the ScanPST tool many times for this particular user, as an old
    backup software would sometimes fail to back up the PST file (_File is in
    use_ error, even with Outlook closed). I found the ScanPST.exe tool over at
    Slipstick.com. This tool was able to repair the Outlook 2000, and later her
    Outlook 2003 file. Why her PST file would become corrupt every now and then,
    I have never discovered. I have repaired this particular user's PST file at
    least a dozen times. The ScanPST.exe tool has performed the repair function
    without error, whenever it was used on Outlook 2000 and 2003 PST files.
    I have also migrated this user's PST data to new PST files using Outlook's
    Import - Export tool several times. I had upgraded, in place, this users
    Outlook 2003 to 2007, 2-3 days prior to finding that the PST file was again
    corrupt. Due to the history that I have had with this user, I ran the ScanPST
    tool prior to doing the upgrade just to make sure that I had a good PST file
    (according to ScanPST). (I try to run the ScanPST tool prior to all upgrades
    and migrations, based only on that it has found and fixed problems for me in
    the past.) The PST file was opening and appeared to be working without error,
    but, I was having a problem syncing the user's Outlook Calendar to her new
    iPhone. (The iPhone problem turned out to be that the iTunes-iPhone sync tool
    would fail if there were any open ended recurring appointments (i.e.,
    holidays, birthdays, etc) in Outlook.)
    In troubleshooting the iPhone sync problem, I started by running ScanPST.exe
    on the newly created 2007 PST file. I always run the tool multiple passes
    until it runs clean, as it does not always fix all of the problems it finds
    on the first pass. This time, after the first pass, ScanPST would report
    errors, but would not display a Repair button. I tried running ScanPST
    several times, and even rebooted, with the same result. Since the PST file
    would open, and appear to operate normally in Outlook 2007, I decided to
    import the PST data into a new PST file. The Import appeared to work and
    ScanPST ran without error on the new PST file. At this point I discovered
    that the import had left the new PST file with only default Categories.
    Eventually I ended up here, on this forum, with my question about Migrating
    Outlook 2007 Categories, (and either too much, or too little background).

    Here’s the question:
    In your reply to my post, you very strongly state _DON'T use import again
    or you risk the same issue._
    I respect that you must know of some problem using the Import function of
    Outlook 2007 that I am unaware of.
    Can you please provide a few details of what the issues are with using the
    Outlook 2007 Import? And, what method or tools do you like that allow the
    issue to be avoided?

    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 23, 2007

    Brian, My appologies for providing what seemed to be conflicting information
    in my previous post. I have posted a more detailed background in a reply to
    BillR's reply. Please feel free to contribute on that thread if you like. I
    would very much like to learn more about the the best way to be migrating
    Outlook 2007 users to new PC's.
    Thanks

    Guest, Sep 23, 2007

    glennww

    Joined:
    Oct 14, 2008
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    Brisbane, Australia
    the Answer: Ask a dveloper not a techie

    A developer can build the solution in half the time it takes the techie to explain the problem. In my experience techies can tell you a million reason why not where as developers will just do it.

    A simple tool for the layman to use to move export/import categories between any Outlook version can be found at.

    http://www.klemid.de/files/vba/TransferCategories.zip

    glennww, Oct 14, 2008

    thepcer

    Joined: