Microsoft Word: Autotext for fractions

Discussion in 'Microsoft Word Document Management' started by Guest, Jun 13, 2005.

    When typing the fractions 1/4, 1/2 and 3/4, Word is able to auto-format them.

    How can I produce the same effect for other fractions e.g 1/3 and 2/3?

    Guest, Jun 13, 2005

    Shauna Kelly Guest

    Shauna Kelly, Jun 13, 2005

    Thanks very much Shauna. I had seen that page before, but on closer
    inspection I noticed that if I brought up on my screen exactly the same
    symbols group as in the screenshot, i.e. "normal text", subset "currency
    symbols" then the fractions I was after are shown.

    Thanks again.

    Guest, Jun 13, 2005

    Cynthia Guest

    here are some keyboard shortcuts that you might find useful
    for the 1/3 type 2153, ALT+X and that will insert a correct format of that
    fraction
    for the 2/3 type 2154, ALT+X and that will insert a correct format of that
    fraction
    for the 1/8 type 2158, ALT+X and that will instert a correct format of that
    fraction
    for the 3/8 type 215C, ALT+X and that will insert a correct format of that
    fraction
    for the 5/8 type 215D, ALT+X and that will insert a correct format of that
    fraction
    for the 7/8 type 215E, ALT+X and that will insert a correct format of that
    fraction
    What I like to do with all fractions (including the ones I can get by
    pressing ALT+171 for ½, ALT+172 for ¼, and ALT+0190 for ¾) I will swipe the
    mouse over the fraction to select it and will save it as an auto text. Then
    if I type 3/4 and press ENTER, VOILA! there it is! I used to have quite a
    number of specialized numbers saved in auto text when I worked at Group
    Health in word processing because I used them all the time and did not want
    to go through the special key codes all the time like above.

    Cynthia

    Cynthia, Jun 13, 2005
  5. AutoText is unnecessary for ¼, ½, and ¾ if you have the relevant AutoFormat
    As You Type option checked. The other built-in fractions can be more
    efficiently used if they are saved as AutoCorrect entries rather than
    AutoText. For more, see
    http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/CreateFraction.htm

    --
    Suzanne S. Barnhill