    programs are not listed (list set to 10). Done some searching on net and
    checked user policy in registry as some suggest. Everything in order. Can
    any one suggest other solutions for me to look at and try ?

    barrowhill, Aug 29, 2011

  2. barrowhill

    Paul Guest

    barrowhill wrote:
    > Friend brought round his desktop after being caught out by the Microsoft
    > Support Scam. He felt such an idiot but fortunately no money lost.
    > However they had access to PC and system file corrupt. To cut long
    > story short, XP Pro has been reinstalled so up and running. One very
    > noticeable issue. The Start menu, apart from pinned programs is blank.
    > Any recently opened programs are not listed (list set to 10). Done some
    > searching on net and checked user policy in registry as some suggest.
    > Everything in order. Can any one suggest other solutions for me to look
    > at and try ?

    Are other files "hidden" ? There is a claim about Start menu items here.

    Read the discussion here, and see if you have similar symptoms. Don't use
    the suggested tool, unless the symptoms match exactly.

    Paul

    Paul, Aug 29, 2011

  3. barrowhill

    barrowhill Guest

    Paul,

    Many thanks for prompt response. Interesting but symptoms don't match
    exactly. Only issue is that no recently opened/used programs appear on
    Start Menu. Can 'pin' programs no bother but recently used section remains
    blank.

    barrowhill, Aug 29, 2011
  4. barrowhill

    Ken Springer Guest

    On 8/29/11 5:51 AM, barrowhill wrote:
    > Friend brought round his desktop after being caught out by the Microsoft
    > Support Scam. He felt such an idiot but fortunately no money lost.
    > However they had access to PC and system file corrupt. To cut long story
    > short, XP Pro has been reinstalled so up and running. One very
    > noticeable issue. The Start menu, apart from pinned programs is blank.
    > Any recently opened programs are not listed (list set to 10). Done some
    > searching on net and checked user policy in registry as some suggest.
    > Everything in order. Can any one suggest other solutions for me to look
    > at and try ?

    Did you do a clean install, or are you just trying to remove the
    problems by fixing/doing a repair of an existing installation?

    You might find this interesting from MS technet:

    In particular, read the last bullet, which I'm quoting:

    "The only way to clean a compromised system is to flatten and rebuild.
    That’s right. If you have a system that has been completely compromised,
    the only thing you can do is to flatten the system (reformat the system
    disk) and rebuild it from scratch (reinstall Windows and your
    applications). Alternatively, you could of course work on your resume
    instead, but I don’t want to see you doing that."

    --
    Ken

    Mac OS X 10.6.8
    Firefox 5.0
    Thunderbird 5.0
    LibreOffice 3.3.3

    Ken Springer, Aug 29, 2011
  5. barrowhill wrote:
    > Friend brought round his desktop after being caught out by the Microsoft
    > Support Scam. He felt such an idiot but fortunately no money lost.
    > However they had access to PC and system file corrupt. To cut long
    > story short, XP Pro has been reinstalled so up and running. One very
    > noticeable issue. The Start menu, apart from pinned programs is blank.
    > Any recently opened programs are not listed (list set to 10). Done some
    > searching on net and checked user policy in registry as some suggest.
    > Everything in order. Can any one suggest other solutions for me to look
    > at and try ?

    I used TweakUI to stop all programs from showing up in recently
    used list.
    It automatically inserted "NoStartPage" into the registry for
    all my programs (regedit / applications).
    Perhaps you can use that to turn yours on.

    Paul in Houston TX, Aug 30, 2011
  6. barrowhill

    Tester Guest

    Perhaps the number of programs in start menu has changed to ZERO. I
    suggest look at this picture and see if your settings looks similar:

    <http://tinyurl.com/3v84yaa>
    <http://content.screencast.com/users/JT19560819/folders/Jing/media/37dc3977-8845-47e4-860e-e1fde4b1adee/2011-08-30_0051.png>

    Look at the red arrow that points to 6. Change the number to whatever
    you want. If you have the number then try to change it up or down to
    see if it makes a difference.

    hth

    Tester, Aug 30, 2011
  7. barrowhill

    barrowhill Guest

    Paul,

    Thanks for reply though I've left it rather late in saying so. Problem now
    resolved

    barrowhill, Oct 31, 2012