Microsoft Software mirroring (Data recovery)

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 Advanced Server' started by saddison@arnel.co.uk, Apr 24, 2006.

  1. Guest

    Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but i am having
    real problems trying to find an answer.

    I have a Windows 2000 server which is acting as a file server. i have
    configured 2 HDD for dynamic software mirroring using the Windows tools
    and all is good.Data is being copied and mirrored across the 2 hard
    drives. I started to work through some disaster recovery scenarios and
    cannot find a solution to this one.

    One of the mirrored drives fails and the server hardware fails. The
    'good' mirrored hard drive is removed and I want to copy data from
    it. How do I do it?

    I have tried connecting the hard drive to another server but disk
    management displays the drive as "unreadable" and the only option
    available seems to be reformatting it. I would have thought that I
    could connect the hard drive and just copy data from it but this does
    not seem to be possible.

    Please let me know what I am missing here as its driving me crazy!

    , Apr 24, 2006

  2. <> wrote in message
    > Forgive me if this has already been asked and answered but i am having
    > real problems trying to find an answer.
    >
    > I have a Windows 2000 server which is acting as a file server. i have
    > configured 2 HDD for dynamic software mirroring using the Windows tools
    > and all is good.Data is being copied and mirrored across the 2 hard
    > drives. I started to work through some disaster recovery scenarios and
    > cannot find a solution to this one.
    >
    > One of the mirrored drives fails and the server hardware fails. The
    > 'good' mirrored hard drive is removed and I want to copy data from
    > it. How do I do it?
    >
    > I have tried connecting the hard drive to another server but disk
    > management displays the drive as "unreadable" and the only option
    > available seems to be reformatting it. I would have thought that I
    > could connect the hard drive and just copy data from it but this does
    > not seem to be possible.
    >
    > Please let me know what I am missing here as its driving me crazy!

    How about mounting the drive as the boot drive on other hardware? To
    recover from a recent problem I simply connected a Raid 5 array to another
    computer and the system came back up.
    Geoff

    ratman and bobbin, Apr 24, 2006

    Thanks for the suggestion but the drive is not the boot drive, Its only
    used to store files and folders
    I did try your idea on a mirrored boot drive and like you say it works
    (solved one of my other problems) so thanks for the idea.

    Any thoughts on the other problem?

    Si

    , Apr 24, 2006
  4. <> wrote in message
    > Thanks for the suggestion but the drive is not the boot drive, Its only
    > used to store files and folders
    > I did try your idea on a mirrored boot drive and like you say it works
    > (solved one of my other problems) so thanks for the idea.
    >
    > Any thoughts on the other problem?
    >
    > Si

    So you have a mirrored pair and then another hd, not mirrored, and its the
    unprotected hd you have this problem with? Did you configure it as Dynamic?
    Maybe this is the problem.
    Geoff

    ratman and bobbin, Apr 25, 2006

    Sorry for replying so late, the setup is:

    Windows 2000 server loaded onto Disk1

    Disk2 is a Dymanic Mirrored drive
    Disk3 is a Dymanic Mirrored drive

    The dymanic drives contain files and folders of users on the network

    The scernario is:
    Disk3 has a hardware problem and the becomes faulty. Disk1 fails and is
    not recoverable. The hardware fails and cannot be reproduced.

    I want to be able to connect Disk2 to another server and access the
    data on the disk but i cannot seem to do this.

    Any help would be great!

    , Apr 28, 2006