Microsoft Security Advisory (919637)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Vulnerability in Word Could Allow Remote Code Execution

Published: May 22, 2006
Microsoft is investigating new public reports of limited “zero-day” attacks using a vulnerability in Microsoft Word XP and Microsoft Word 2003. In order for this attack to be carried out, a user must first open a malicious Word document attached to an e-mail or otherwise provided to them by an attacker. Microsoft will continue to investigate the public reports to help provide additional guidance for customers as necessary.

Microsoft is completing development of a security update for Microsoft Word that addresses this vulnerability. The security update is now being finalized through testing to ensure quality and application compatibility and is on schedule to be released as part of the June security updates on June 13, 2006, or sooner as warranted.

Microsoft is concerned that this new report of a vulnerability in Word was not disclosed responsibly, potentially putting computer users at risk. We continue to encourage responsible disclosure of vulnerabilities. We believe the commonly accepted practice of reporting vulnerabilities directly to a vendor serves everyone's best interests. This practice helps to ensure that customers receive comprehensive, high-quality updates for security vulnerabilities without exposure to malicious attackers while the update is being developed.
Wonder if this is in direct response to Symantec's disclosure of this venerability ... :p

Anyway ... be on your guard. :thumb:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/advisory/919637.mspx

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Just heard about the beta on the bus back from uni today, apparently its pretty good from what I was told :D

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Ian Cunningham said:
Just heard about the beta on the bus back from uni today, apparently its pretty good from what I was told :D
Playing with it right now ... quite good too. :thumb:

Actually has some nice 'features' to hand ... may not quite replace my Pagemaker, but hey, early days yet. ;)

Ask a Question