    the All Program/start menu and when I did a search, there was a Paint
    application icon but when I clicked on it, nothing happened and it had to
    shut down. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?? Thank you in advance.

    Guest, Sep 13, 2007

    John Inzer Guest

    Ireny wrote:
    > I recently performed a complete system recovery on my laptop and now
    > I can't find Microsoft Paint to edit my pictures... It is not in the
    > Accessories in the All Program/start menu and when I did a search,
    > there was a Paint application icon but when I clicked on it, nothing
    > happened and it had to shut down. Can anyone tell me what I did
    > wrong?? Thank you in advance.

    ===================================
    MS Paint is not much of an editor...have you tried
    the freeware FastStone Image Viewer?

    FastStone Image Viewer
    http://www.faststone.org/FSViewerDetail.htm

    After the system recovery did you reinstall all the
    updates that were released since the recovery
    file was created?

    Maybe the following article will be useful:

    How do I install / uninstall mspaint?

    Also here's a copy of a message previously posted:
    ===
    "MS Paint error in mfc42u.dll / paint will not open"

    The following info was previously posted by:
    David Shiflet [MSFT]...maybe it will be useful
    to you.

    Before editing your registry, I strongly suggest
    that you read the following KB article:

    Information About Editing the Registry
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=256986#Topic2

    Here's a copy of David Shiflet's message:
    ================================
    ================================

    This bug will be fixed in Service Pack 2 of
    XP. You can work around it by editing some
    registry keys which somehow got messed up.

    There is a "Bars" value at this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint\General-
    Summary

    Change this value to match the number of
    "General-Bar#" keys which are under this key:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\
    Windows\CurrentVersion\Applets\Paint

    For example, if you have the keys "General-
    Bar0" and "General-Bar1", make sure the
    Bars value is set to 2.

    Use regedit.exe to change the registry; there
    are various sites online which describe how
    to use regedit.

    ================================
    ================================

    Here's another article:

    (218632) Invalid Page Fault Starting Word
    Pad or Paint
    http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=218632

    And finally...there is a more advanced version
    of paint that you can download free from the
    following site:

    Paint.NET
    http://www.getpaint.net/index2.html
    (Requires: .NET Framework 2.0)

    --

    John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

    Digital Image
    Highlights and FAQs
    http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Sep 13, 2007

    John,

    Thank you for your post. I will definitely check out your suggestions!! Once
    again, Thanks a bunch.

    Guest, Sep 13, 2007

    John Inzer Guest

    Ireny wrote:
    > John,
    >
    > Thank you for your post. I will definitely check out your
    > suggestions!! Once again, Thanks a bunch.

    ============================
    You're welcome.

    Let us know how it goes.

    --

    John Inzer
    MS Picture It! -

    Digital Image
    Highlights and FAQs
    http://tinyurl.com/aczzp

    Notice
    This is not tech support
    I am a volunteer

    Solutions that work for
    me may not work for you

    Proceed at your own risk

    John Inzer, Sep 13, 2007
  5. "Ireny" <> wrote in message
    >I recently performed a complete system recovery on my laptop and now I
    >can't
    > find Microsoft Paint to edit my pictures... It is not in the Accessories
    > in
    > the All Program/start menu and when I did a search, there was a Paint
    > application icon but when I clicked on it, nothing happened and it had to
    > shut down. Can anyone tell me what I did wrong?? Thank you in advance.

    Control Panel,Add/remove programs, Add/remove Windows components,
    Accessories & Utilities, Accessories & select 'Paint'.
    Mike.

    Mike Cawood, HND BIT, Sep 13, 2007