    If I change the name to C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA.DBF It will
    link to the dbf file.

    Why does Access 2000 not reconize a file name longer than 8 characters.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005

  2. If I recall correctly, it's a limitation of the drivers used to read dBase.

    --
    Doug Steele, Microsoft Access MVP
    http://I.Am/DougSteele

    "Roland" <> wrote in message
    > Using Access 2000 to link to this dbf file.
    > C:\MyDocs\C_Metric\CONST\OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF
    > I get the message "Microsoft Jet database engine could not find the object
    > 'OC_DATA_CONST_1005.DBF'. Make sure the object exists and that you spell

    its

    Douglas J Steele, Nov 15, 2005

    But, if I move the access database and this file to another pc, then it will
    link using a file name longer than 8 characters. Both systems are setup with
    the same operating system 2000pro, access 2000 etc. There must be something
    else going on.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005
  4. Same service packs on both?

    Douglas J. Steele, Nov 15, 2005

    Yes, as far as I can tell...How about the Borland Database Engine (BDE).
    Would install this engine solve the problem.

    Guest, Nov 15, 2005

    Van T. Dinh Guest

    You may have different versions of the ODBC drivers.

    Did you try to get an up-to-date ODBC driver as advised by Cindy Winegarden
    in your earlier thread?

    --
    HTH
    Van T. Dinh

    Van T. Dinh, Nov 15, 2005

    No, her responce was related to accessing a dbf file from one pc to another.

    The access database and dbf file are on the same pc. ODBC is not what I
    will be using. I said that one of the pc's does work using a dbf file
    longer than 8 characters; the other one will only work using 8 characters.

    I have two w2000 pro systems with access 2000 install sp3.

    On one of them I can link to a dbf file like this one
    "OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF".

    On the other one it tells me it cannot not find the file. If I change the
    name to "OC_DATA_.DBF , it will find and link to it.

    Is there something I need to configure on the second machine.

    I would rather use the long names if possible.

    Are you using an ODBC data source on the machine that works and trying to
    link "directly" on the second machine? Using ODBC will allow you to access
    DBFs with long file names.

    The latest FoxPro and Visual FoxPro ODBC driver is downloadable from
    http://msdn.microsoft.com/vfoxpro/downloads/updates.

    Guest, Nov 16, 2005
  8. "OC_DATA_MSSBU_0405.DBF" will also have a short name of "OC_DAT~1.DBF" or
    something like that. What happens if you use the short name instead?
    (http://www.mvps.org/access/api/api0020.htm at "The Access Web" will let you
    convert between long name and short name)

    Douglas J Steele, Nov 16, 2005

    If I change the name to a short name it works. But it does not explane why
    using a long name works on one pc and not on a different pc. Read post
    below.

    Guest, Nov 16, 2005

    Van T. Dinh Guest

    Whether the DBF is on the same machine with Access or not, I am sure that
    Access still needs the appropriate ODBC driver to access the data in the
    DBF, whether FoxPro or BDE.

    Check the ODBC drivers on the 2 PCs and I am sure you will find them
    different.

    --
    HTH
    Van T. Dinh

    Van T. Dinh, Nov 16, 2005

    Well, to take care of this problem I installed the dBase Plus Runtime Engine
    and the BDE files. I can now access dbf files longer than 8.3

    I could not find a driver update on the microsoft site to fix this
    problem...too bad.

    Anyway thanks for everyones help...

    Guest, Nov 28, 2005