    system).

    Oh well... Firefox was a pleasant surprise, maybe a third-party file
    manager will be too.

    John Doe, Mar 28, 2009

  2. John Doe

    DanS Guest

    John Doe <> wrote in news:0Kxzl.16983$as4.15708
    @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:

    > I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking for
    > one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the Windows 7
    > beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is beginning to look like
    > an ornament. Apparently the same goes for Vista.
    >
    > When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does nothing.
    > In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to expand the folder
    > and automatically close the previous folder at the same time.

    That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder list', an
    option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

    DanS, Mar 28, 2009

  3. John Doe

    DanS Guest

    DanS <> wrote in

    > John Doe <> wrote in news:0Kxzl.16983$as4.15708
    > @nlpi069.nbdc.sbc.com:
    >

    >> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking for
    >> one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the Windows 7
    >> beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is beginning to look like
    >> an ornament. Apparently the same goes for Vista.
    >>
    >> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does
    >> nothing. In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to expand
    >> the folder and automatically close the previous folder at the same
    >> time.

    > That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder list',
    > an option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

    In XP that was anyway.

    DanS, Mar 29, 2009
  4. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    DanS <> wrote:
    > DanS <> wrote
    >> John Doe <> wrote

    >>> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking
    >>> for one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the
    >>> Windows 7 beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is
    >>> beginning to look like an ornament. Apparently the same goes for
    >>> Vista.
    >>>
    >>> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does
    >>> nothing. In Windows XP, you could click on the folder name to
    >>> expand the folder and automatically close the previous folder at
    >>> the same time.

    >> That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder
    >> list', an option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

    > In XP that was anyway.

    You misspelled "I am clueless".

    John Doe, Mar 29, 2009
  5. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Cat-In-A-Flat" <> wrote:

    > "John Doe" <> wrote

    >> I suppose there are third-party file managers. I will be looking
    >> for one if and when forced to upgrade from XP. Having tried the
    >> Windows 7 beta, Windows Explorer (like MSN Messenger) is
    >> beginning to look like an ornament. Apparently the same goes for
    >> Vista.
    >>
    >> When Folder View is enabled, clicking on the folder name does
    >> nothing.

    > Try double clicking.

    Single clicking is easier. Besides, it doesn't close the previous
    folder.

    John Doe, Mar 29, 2009
  6. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    "Cat-In-A-Flat" <> wrote:
    > "John Doe" <> wrote
    >> "Cat-In-A-Flat" <> wrote:
    >>> "John Doe" <> wrote

    >>> Try double clicking.

    >> Single clicking is easier. Besides, it doesn't close the previous
    >> folder.
    >>

    > if you double click it, it will close.

    Yes it will. But in XP, you could just single click on another
    folder name and the prior folder would automatically close. If you
    did not want the prior folder to close, you could use the plus sign.

    Really though... the fact Windows Explorer fonts cannot be changed
    without disrupting the entire system is depressing. Microsoft is
    de-evolving its file manager. Not being able to change fonts is
    pathetic IMO and it smells like a rat.

    John Doe, Mar 29, 2009
  7. John Doe

    DanS Guest

    John Doe <> wrote in news:mJAzl.13171$hc1.5748
    @flpi150.ffdc.sbc.com:

    > DanS <> wrote:
    >> DanS <> wrote
    >>> John Doe <> wrote

    >>> That is called 'Display Simple folder view in Explorer's Folder
    >>> list', an option under "Folder Options' -> 'View'.

    >> In XP that was anyway.

    > You misspelled "I am clueless".

    I am clueless because I told you what a feature was called ?

    No, it's not misspelled.....it's spelled J o h n D o e.

    DanS, Mar 29, 2009
  8. John Doe

    John Doe Guest

    DanS <> wrote:
    > John Doe <> wrote
    >> DanS <> wrote:
    >>> DanS <> wrote

    >>> In XP that was anyway.

    >> You misspelled "I am clueless".

    > I am clueless because I told you what a feature was called ?

    I knew what the feature was called in Windows XP, but this is a
    Windows Vista group and my question was about Windows Vista/7. To
    doublecheck your answer, I reinstalled the Windows 7 beta. Of course
    that was a waste of time. The conclusion is that you might be better
    off answering technical questions in "alt.TheSimpsons" or similar.

    If you are going to answer Windows Vista questions with information
    about Windows XP, make that clear the first time.

    --
    thanks to the other answers

    John Doe, Mar 30, 2009