Windows XP Microsoft End Support for XP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
On 8th April 2014 Microsoft will not provide any support for Windows XP.
They say this will leave your PC venerable as security updates will not be made.
I run Windows XP as a virtual machine on Windows 7 Professional.
Will the security of this be affected in the same way as a ‘stand alone’ XP system?
:confused:

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Q: Will Microsoft remove Windows XP Mode support in Windows 7 as of April 8, 2014 via a patch or update? (XP Mode allows users with old XP apps to run them on Windows 7 Professional, Enterprise and Ultimate.)

A: No, XP Mode will not go away, a Microsoft spokesperson confirmed. However, Microsoft won't be providing any patches or updates to XP as of that date, so those using XP mode will be exposing themselves to potential security risks.

LINKY

Reaction score
Yeah so they say.

Still you have a decent third party software and not use their own MSE and not be frivolous and press silly links I guess a another couple years out of it would be easy imo

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
Patching vulnerabilities in the program code is not the same as providing protection from nasties by using an AV program.

The takeaway here is that “XP Mode” is not a magical “feature” in Windows 7. It is a real instance of Windows XP running in a virtual machine, and it must be treated as such for security purposes. As long as you understand that, it’s no more a “security disaster” than having a building full of computers running Windows XP.

"XP Mode”

beware the ticking time bomb

:user:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2455206,00.asp
According to Vlcek, Avast is allegedly seeing data indicating that Windows XP users' systems will be "six times" more likely to come under attack by third parties than those running Windows 7 – which Microsoft will still be supporting in the near future, obviously.

"The abandonment by Microsoft will not only affect Windows XP users, but will create a big security problem for the whole ecosystem. Tens of millions of PCs running XP connected to the Internet, unpatched and without security updates, are just waiting to be exploited. The vulnerable OS will be an easy target for hackers and be seen as a gateway to infect other non-XP operating systems," Vlcek writes.

Anyone for one of the free alternatives
whistling.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ask a Question