"Message Services"

Discussion in 'Windows XP Messenger' started by Guest, Dec 30, 2003.

    My wife and I just got new computers, both with XP (Home). We are both getting IM type messages with the title "message Services". These are spam-type messages and "pop" onto the screen intermittently whenever we are on line. How do we eliminate this occurrence? Any way to block or remove the problem feature?

    Guest, Dec 30, 2003

  2. Greetings,

    What you're seeing is the Messenger service built-in to Windows, *not* Windows Messenger
    (which are two different things) which spammers are exploiting -- this is not Microsoft, nor
    can Microsoft control them anymore then they can control spam to your e-mail inbox.

    To get rid of these pop ups, you'll need to disable the "Messenger Service", click Start,
    then Run, enter "services.msc"and click OK. Scroll down to "Messenger", select it,
    right-click and then choose Properties. Under startup type, choose 'Disabled' and then
    choose the 'Stop' button. After the service is stopped, click OK. Nothing in Windows or any
    real third-party applications should be effected by this.

    Just as a little reminder, make sure you've protected yourself against the latest security
    issues by visiting WindowsUpdate and installing the security patches:
    http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com
    (This isn't related to the Messenger Service in any way, just a reminder)
    Jonathan Kay
    Associate Expert

    Jonathan Kay [MVP], Dec 30, 2003