MDAC 2.8 uninstall

Hi

I have tried to do a Rollback from MDAC 2.8 to 2.7 on a
W2K Server.
I found a KB article with a script called "unmigrt".
This script deregistered all the files correctly and after
that i was able to install MDAC 2.7.
Component Checker 2.0 identifies MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh
installed on the machine.
Sounds good so far but the registry still says that MDAC
2.8 is installed and therefore our custom application
doesn't work.
What can I do to correct this? I don't know which registry
keys need to be changed / deleted or how I could maybe do
a real uninstall of MDAC so that the registry keys are
also deleted.

I'd appreciate any ideas.

Thanx in advance

Andywest

Feng Mao

Hi Andywest,

Thank you for posting!

Have you tried to run the Component Checker from the run line with the /d
switch? The component checker will ask where the redistributable download
is located. Browse to the location and the compentn checker will proceed
to uninstall mdac and install the version you specified. Also when you use
the /NR switch along with the /d switch it will not install what ever mdac
version you have downloaded but leave without mdac.

For additional information about Comonent Checker, visit the below KB
article

307255 INFO: Component Checker: Diagnose Problems and Reconfigure MDAC
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307255

I hope that this can help you to remove MDAC completely.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: MDAC 2.8 uninstall
| Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:46:29 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
| Hi
|
| I have tried to do a Rollback from MDAC 2.8 to 2.7 on a
| W2K Server.
| I found a KB article with a script called "unmigrt".
| This script deregistered all the files correctly and after
| that i was able to install MDAC 2.7.
| Component Checker 2.0 identifies MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh
| installed on the machine.
| Sounds good so far but the registry still says that MDAC
| 2.8 is installed and therefore our custom application
| doesn't work.
| What can I do to correct this? I don't know which registry
| keys need to be changed / deleted or how I could maybe do
| a real uninstall of MDAC so that the registry keys are
| also deleted.
|
| I'd appreciate any ideas.
|
| Thanx in advance
|
| Andywest

Hi Feng Mao

Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately the /d switch doesn't work with Component
Checker 2.0. An older Version is not available for
download.

I have read on another site that this switch doesn't work
on W2K at all because MDAC should not be uninstalled.

I'll try to find all places in the registry where MDAC is
mentioned and remove the keys and then install again.
Maybe it will work.

Bye

Andywest
Have you tried to run the Component Checker from the run line with the /d
switch? The component checker will ask where the redistributable download
is located. Browse to the location and the compentn checker will proceed
to uninstall mdac and install the version you specified. Also when you use
the /NR switch along with the /d switch it will not install what ever mdac
version you have downloaded but leave without mdac.

For additional information about Comonent Checker, visit the below KB
article

307255 INFO: Component Checker: Diagnose Problems and Reconfigure MDAC
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=307255

I hope that this can help you to remove MDAC completely.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: MDAC 2.8 uninstall
| Date: Fri, 30 Jul 2004 01:46:29 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
| Hi
|
| I have tried to do a Rollback from MDAC 2.8 to 2.7 on a
| W2K Server.
| I found a KB article with a script called "unmigrt".
| This script deregistered all the files correctly and after
| that i was able to install MDAC 2.7.
| Component Checker 2.0 identifies MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh
| installed on the machine.
| Sounds good so far but the registry still says that MDAC
| 2.8 is installed and therefore our custom application
| doesn't work.
| What can I do to correct this? I don't know which registry
| keys need to be changed / deleted or how I could maybe do
| a real uninstall of MDAC so that the registry keys are
| also deleted.
|
| I'd appreciate any ideas.
|
| Thanx in advance
|
| Andywest

.

Feng Mao

Hi Andywest,

Thank you for posting back!

It is bad to hear that the switch /d does not work. Removing all MDAC
related registry key is a good approach, however, it is a time-killing
task. Also, I have another suggestion, you may try REG Monitor which can be
free downloaded from http://www.sysinternal.com. You may launch REG
Monitore when installing the application that need MDAC 2.7. It will trace
the registry key the installation process accessed. This might show you
some hint to locate the registry key.

I hope it helps.

Have a nice day!

Thanks & Regards,

Feng Mao [MSFT], MCSE
Microsoft Online Partner Support

| From: <[email protected]>
| Sender: <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: MDAC 2.8 uninstall
| Date: Wed, 4 Aug 2004 03:02:32 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.win2000.setup_deployment
|
| Hi Feng Mao
|
| Thanks for your answer.
| Unfortunately the /d switch doesn't work with Component
| Checker 2.0. An older Version is not available for
| download.
|
| I have read on another site that this switch doesn't work
| on W2K at all because MDAC should not be uninstalled.
|
| I'll try to find all places in the registry where MDAC is
| mentioned and remove the keys and then install again.
| Maybe it will work.
|
| Bye
|
| Andywest

| >|
| >| Hi
| >|
| >| I have tried to do a Rollback from MDAC 2.8 to 2.7 on a
| >| W2K Server.
| >| I found a KB article with a script called "unmigrt".
| >| This script deregistered all the files correctly and
| after
| >| that i was able to install MDAC 2.7.
| >| Component Checker 2.0 identifies MDAC 2.7 SP1 Refresh
| >| installed on the machine.
| >| Sounds good so far but the registry still says that
| MDAC
| >| 2.8 is installed and therefore our custom application
| >| doesn't work.
| >| What can I do to correct this? I don't know which
| registry
| >| keys need to be changed / deleted or how I could maybe
| do
| >| a real uninstall of MDAC so that the registry keys are
| >| also deleted.
| >|
| >| I'd appreciate any ideas.
| >|
| >| Thanx in advance
| >|
| >| Andywest
| >|

| >.

Joined
Feb 24, 2006
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
Mdac 2.8

MDAC 2.8 breaks our ERP system, IntuitiveMFG version 6.01. MDAC 2.7 is required. While researching a fix, I found that the only command line switches from cc.exe are:

/o = path to results file
/s = scan against a release version
/c = scan for closest versions
/a = scan for all versions
/q = scan in quiet mode -- (mis-spelled by microsoft as "quite mode")
/n = scan for
1 file
2 registry
3 file and registry
4 com
5 file and com
6 registry and com
/? = help

i've tried unregistering components and reinstalling an older version but since 2.8 is running in resident memory, it rebuilds missing components as fast as i can delete them. the advice to run the systernals package isn't so helpful because it shows that WINLOGON.EXE uses mdac. that means simply the process of logging into my account will make it difficult to remove the files. my current procedure is to install the 2.8-plagued hard disk into a 2.7 pc, then write over the files in question before returning the hard disk to it's rightful place.