    I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?

    Many thanks DW

    dw, Aug 1, 2003

  2. dw

    SleeperMan Guest

    <> wrote:
    > For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which
    > has a firewall and a virus utility.
    > I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to
    > explain on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the
    > applications I use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that
    > my 'free update' period has run-out.
    >
    > I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    > Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
    >
    > Many thanks DW

    I used to use agnitum firewall free version, never had any problems although
    payed version has more functions. I don't exactly know why i switched to
    Norton , i guess just to be curious..Works perfect so far.
    I guess freeware virus program are not that good as payed ones. Myself i
    like Norton antvirus. i used McAfee years ago and i hated to download WHOLE
    virus defs every time. File to be d/lded got bigger and bigger and bigger...
    Norton downloads only updates, a few hundred kbytes long and it does it by
    itself.

    SleeperMan, Aug 1, 2003

  3. "dw" <> wrote in message
    > For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which has
    > a firewall and a virus utility.
    > I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to explain
    > on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the applications I
    > use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that my 'free update'
    > period has run-out.
    >
    > I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    > Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
    >
    > Many thanks DW

    I use pay eTrust AV from Computer Associates; not free but I think the
    renewal is $10 US; I use the freeware Kerio 2.15 currently; I am not very
    clued into firewalls, so I 'borrowed' Kerio setups from yosponge; I think I
    use #2 (he has 4 versions). Maybe my etrust is not the best on the block but
    it's better than nothing. I just renewed in March for another year, yeah a
    whole ten bucks. ;)

    As far as your other question, they work very well together; neither
    conflicts with the other. Personally, I am thinking of going to fprot (I
    think that's how you spell it) next year or maybe sooner before I renew with
    etrust. :)

    eTrust has caught some viruses/virii but I think by virtue of going
    broadband and using XP Home, I should have a more robust/well endowed AV
    program.

    Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is. :D
    --
    Andy

    email: sweetandylicious at eml dot cc

    Sweet Andy Licious, Aug 1, 2003
  4. dw

    DC Guest

    dw wrote:

    > For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which has
    > a firewall and a virus utility.
    > I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to explain
    > on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the applications I
    > use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that my 'free update'
    > period has run-out.
    >
    > I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    > Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
    >
    > Many thanks DW

    My combo:

    Grisoft AVG 6.0
    http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php

    Outpost Free
    http://www.agnitum.com/download/outpostfree.html

    --
    DC

    Lately, I've been reading about penile enlargement and I'm thinking to
    myself: "Do we really need larger prisons?"

    DC, Aug 1, 2003
  5. dw

    John Corliss Guest

    Sweet Andy Licious wrote:
    > Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is. :D

    Not flamed, just reminded that this group is for the discussion of
    freeware only, not "cheap" software. Please try to stay on topic.

    --
    Regards from John Corliss
    alt.comp.freeware F.A.Q.:

    John Corliss, Aug 2, 2003
  6. dw

    Andy Mabbett Guest

    In message <>, John Corliss
    <> writes
    >Please try to stay on topic.

    Hypocrite:

    In message <>, John Corliss
    <> writes

    --
    Andy Mabbett
    USA imprisons children without trial, at Guantanamo Bay:

    Andy Mabbett, Aug 2, 2003
  7. On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 14:43:30 -0700, "Sweet Andy Licious"
    <> wrote:

    < snip >

    >Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is. :D

    There is an easy way to avoid such flames. Don't mention things that
    aren't freeware in a freeware newsgroup.

    One would have thought you could have worked that out yourself.

    John Fitzsimons, Aug 3, 2003
  8. dw

    dw Guest

    John Corliss wrote:
    > dw wrote:
    >
    >> <snip>
    >> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    >> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
    >>
    >> Many thanks DW

    > You won't find many "combined" programs like that. However, I can
    > recommend the following two programs:
    >
    > for an antivirus program, AVG:
    >
    > http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    >
    > and for a firewall, Kerio:
    >
    > http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
    >
    > I use both and am VERY satisfied with them.

    Many thanks John ... am dl'ing as I write this.
    David

    dw, Aug 3, 2003
  9. dw

    dw Guest

    dw wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >
    >> dw wrote:
    >>
    >>> <snip>
    >>> I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    >>> Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
    >>>
    >>> Many thanks DW

    >> You won't find many "combined" programs like that. However, I can
    >> recommend the following two programs:
    >>
    >> for an antivirus program, AVG:
    >>
    >> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    >>
    >> and for a firewall, Kerio:
    >>
    >> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
    >>
    >> I use both and am VERY satisfied with them.
    >>

    > Many thanks John ... am dl'ing as I write this.
    > David

    I uninstalled my (purchased) copy of McAfee Firewall and Virus Scanner.

    It seemed to decide to delete MSVCRT40.DLL with it ... so I had to find
    and download/install that as well <sigh>
    .... but the good news is that Kerio and AVG are working away quite
    merrily without any problems. I will see how it goes when my kids start
    playing some of their Internet Multiplayer stuff ....

    On a related topic, are there any test sites for internet firewalls ?
    I remember Symantec doing one, but that doesn't seem to work now.

    All the Best, Dave W

    dw, Aug 3, 2003
  10. dw

    SleeperMan Guest

    <> wrote:
    > dw wrote:
    >> John Corliss wrote:

    >>> You won't find many "combined" programs like that. However, I can
    >>> recommend the following two programs:
    >>>
    >>> for an antivirus program, AVG:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php
    >>>
    >>> and for a firewall, Kerio:
    >>>
    >>> http://www.kerio.com/kpf_home.html
    >>>
    >>> I use both and am VERY satisfied with them.
    >>>

    >> Many thanks John ... am dl'ing as I write this.
    >> David
    >>

    > I uninstalled my (purchased) copy of McAfee Firewall and Virus
    > Scanner.
    >
    > It seemed to decide to delete MSVCRT40.DLL with it ... so I had to
    > find and download/install that as well <sigh>
    > ... but the good news is that Kerio and AVG are working away quite
    > merrily without any problems. I will see how it goes when my kids
    > start playing some of their Internet Multiplayer stuff ....
    >
    > On a related topic, are there any test sites for internet firewalls ?
    > I remember Symantec doing one, but that doesn't seem to work now.
    >
    > All the Best, Dave W

    go to http://security.symantec.com and click on 'test your computer's
    exposure' link

    SleeperMan, Aug 3, 2003
  11. dw

    Mel Guest

    The firewall test at www.grc.com

    has recently been updated - follow the shields-up links.
    (He was suffering another dos attack so it might be slower than normal)

    Alternatively you could try

    http://www.pcflank.com

    Mel, Aug 3, 2003
  12. dw

    Terry Guest

    Terry, Aug 3, 2003
  13. dw

    John Corliss Guest

    John Corliss, Aug 3, 2003
  14. > Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is.

    There is an easy way to avoid such flames. Don't mention things that
    aren't freeware in a freeware newsgroup.

    One would have thought you could have worked that out yourself

    Oh, good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

    Sweet Andy Licious, Aug 4, 2003
  15. dw

    dw Guest

    John Corliss wrote:
    > John Corliss wrote:
    >
    >> (clipped)
    >> Try this site:
    >>
    >> Virus Scanner.
    >>
    >> Scroll down to "Hot Spots" (but the whole page is worth looking at.)

    > Whoops. Pasted the wrong thing. Try this:
    >
    > http://grc.com/default.htm

    Super .... using Mozilla and Kerio this came out as fully stealthed. I
    had run similar tests on the Symantex site (which doesn't seem to be
    responding currently) with my McAfee, and that did not come out as well
    as Kerio.

    dw, Aug 4, 2003
  16. dw

    Guest

    On Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:58:52 -0700, "Sweet Andy Licious"
    <> wrote:

    >> Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is.

    >There is an easy way to avoid such flames. Don't mention things that
    >aren't freeware in a freeware newsgroup.
    >
    >One would have thought you could have worked that out yourself
    >

    >Oh, good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol

    What's with the HTML post?

    Art
    http://www.epix.net/~artnpeg

    , Aug 4, 2003
  17. dw

    Terry Guest

    dw wrote:

    >Super .... using Mozilla and Kerio this came out as fully stealthed.

    Not everyone reckons stealth to be a 'good thing', however.

    Terry, Aug 4, 2003
  18. dw

    Frank Bohan Guest

    "dw" <> wrote in message
    > For the last year I have been using McAfee 'Internet Security' which has
    > a firewall and a virus utility.
    > I have not been very happy with the firewall (too long a saga to explain
    > on all the troubles I have had with it and some of the applications I
    > use) - and now the virus utility has flagged up that my 'free update'
    > period has run-out.
    >
    > I would like to use something better ... and ideally freeware.
    > Any suggestions on a firewall + virus combo ?
    >
    > Many thanks DW

    FWIW I use Zone Alarm.

    BTW I wish you good luck when you uninstall McAfee. I found that it leaves
    it leaves entries all over the registry.

    ===

    Frank Bohan
    ΒΆ Eat prunes and start a new movement.

    Frank Bohan, Aug 5, 2003
  19. dw

    DC Guest

    Sweet Andy Licious wrote:

    >> Hope I don't get flamed for mentioning payware, cheap as it is.

    > There is an easy way to avoid such flames. Don't mention things that
    > aren't freeware in a freeware newsgroup.
    >
    > One would have thought you could have worked that out yourself
    >

    > Oh, good grief!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! lol
    >

    > begin 666 biggrin.gif
    > Attachment decoded: biggrin.gif
    > `
    > end

    Posting binaries to a text group. Good grief, indeed. }:O( !=lol

    DC, Aug 5, 2003
  20. dw

    DC Guest

    Frank Bohan wrote:

    > BTW I wish you good luck when you uninstall McAfee. I found that it leaves
    > it leaves entries all over the registry.

    Help stamp out and abolish redundancy and repetition. };O)

    --
    DC

    DC, Aug 5, 2003