Maxtor SATA disk on nForce 4 (for example, A8N-SLI Premium)

Discussion in 'Asus Motherboards' started by Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 6, 2005.

  1. I have two Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 SATA disks, one as the
    main internal disk and one external, and two more in the house,
    all connected to A8N-SLI Premium motherboards (with nForce 4
    chip set). They all seem to have an insidious problem, and I'd
    like to know whether anybody here knows more about this.

    The most prevalent symptom is that they sporadically hang while
    booting. But, even more infrequently, they appear to cause
    trouble at any later time as well. The essential symptom is that
    the disk suddenly stops delivering any data, and the computer
    hangs. Processes that don't need disk data still work to some
    extent, like moving the mouse pointer, but as soon as the disk
    is required, everything comes to a halt.

    To stress the disks, I use Raxco's Perfect Disk 6 to defragment
    them. Lots of data is moved around on the disk, so errors would
    show up.

    Since yesterday, every attempt to defragment my main disk ended
    after a few minutes with a hang of the system. Quite obviously
    the cause is that the disk stops delivering data. True to form,
    neither the disk itself, nor the driver, nor the application,
    nor the operating system (Windows XP SP2) times out. Everything
    waits eternally. I end up having to press the reset key on the
    computer.

    I tracked down the location and found that, when I tried to read
    a particular file, the system would hang. I finally deleted that
    file and the problem went away. However, the disk now shows
    (through Everest) that one sector has been relocated. That's not
    a good sign at all for a brand new hard disk, but if it remained
    the only one, it would be acceptable.

    I suspect though that this is a secondary error that may have
    been caused by the disk suddenly hanging during a write
    operation. The hard disk firmware revision is BANC1G10 on both
    of my hard disks, and I have two more in the house that also
    seem to cause problems, usually by hanging during booting. Could
    anybody please tell me whether this is the latest revision for
    the Maxtor 6L300S0?

    I ran my disks for some time on the IDE drivers included in
    Windows, but at least the hangs on the problem file occurred
    there as well, so I went back to the nVidia nForce 4 drivers.

    Yet one more problem. Everest reports that my main internal SATA
    disk runs at UDMA 6 / ATA-133 and supports the features Security
    Mode and Host Protected Area, while the other one, external
    SATA, runs at UDMA 5 /ATA-100 and does not support these two
    features. Any ideas, anyone, what that could mean?

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 6, 2005

  2. Hans-Georg Michna

    Paul Guest

    In article <>, Hans-Georg Michna
    <> wrote:

    > I have two Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 SATA disks, one as the
    > main internal disk and one external, and two more in the house,
    > all connected to A8N-SLI Premium motherboards (with nForce 4
    > chip set). They all seem to have an insidious problem, and I'd
    > like to know whether anybody here knows more about this.

    You are not alone, having trouble with Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 :

    http://groups.google.ca/group/alt.c..._frm/thread/8534058674d754f8/c0f47ff5c0c77301

    Perhaps you can look at the disks with the Hitachi "Feature Tool" ?
    And see what features are turned on.

    http://www.hitachigst.com/hdd/support/download.htm (scroll down a bit)

    Paul

    Paul, Oct 7, 2005

  3. Hi Hans,

    On Thu, 06 Oct 2005 16:14:22 +0200, Hans-Georg Michna
    <> wrote:

    >I have two Maxtor DiamondMax 10 6L300S0 SATA disks, one as the

    I'm sorry to have to write this.

    2 months of constant breakdowns with Maxtor SATA disks, mine were
    DiamondMax 9. Same symptoms like yours, stop responding, write errors
    .... many other symtoms too.

    I have now replaced them with 6 Seagade 250 GB and 1 Samsung 250 GB
    disks - my system is still running of an IDE Maxtor DiamondMax 9 160
    GB disk, no problems.

    I have actually tried another new DiamondMax 9 in the setup, just
    recently .... and this one new disk in the system and all the faults
    came back. I've removed it, and since no problems.

    Sorry ... Spare yourself of months of dispair, sell the Maxtor's count
    your looses, and get something else. Your time is valuable too.

    Regards Leif.

    Leif Nordmand Andersen, Oct 7, 2005
  4. Paul, Leif,

    thanks for your good information! I'll try to find out more.
    Currently the disks work, although they sometimes boot slowly.

    By the way, they have a newer firmware, named BANC1G10.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.

    Hans-Georg Michna, Oct 10, 2005
  5. where did you find the firmware?
    I saw nothing on maxtor.com...

    Pascal

    message de news: ...

    Pascal Perrot, Oct 11, 2005
  6. Hi Hans-Georg,

    >thanks for your good information! I'll try to find out more.
    >Currently the disks work, although they sometimes boot slowly.
    >
    >By the way, they have a newer firmware, named BANC1G10.

    I've had a drive with that firmware too. I had one disk changed 5
    times, in that way Maxtor were really good. Unfortunately it cased the
    same problem here.

    At one point I really thought it was the onboard SATA controllers, and
    I went ahead and got 2 Promise SATA150II 4 port controllers. They are
    slower (being on the PCI bus), and maybe therefor sligthly more
    stable. But eventually the freeze would come!!

    Changing all the Maxtor Drives has made my system the most solid
    system I've EVER had.

    Regards Leif.

    Leif Nordmand Andersen, Oct 11, 2005
  7. Hans-Georg Michna

    williamh

    Joined:
    Oct 19, 2005
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    I too have the boot hang problem, on two seperate motherboard/cpu combinations (with the same hard drive though). I've never had the hang occur after booting though, so I think that might just be a seperate failure.

    I've had the boot hang on a MSI K8N Neo2 nForce3 board, and currently on a MSI K8N Neo4 nForce4-SLI board. My hard drive is a 6B300S0 and if I'm reading this right the firmware is BANC1980.

    Let us know if you have any luck fixing this problem, at least now I know its not unique to my drive.

    williamh, Oct 19, 2005
  8. Hans-Georg Michna

    Guest

    I have the same problem. I can install Windows on a A8N-SLI Premium on
    any Harddisk and it works fine. As soon as I install on a brand new
    Maxtor Maxline III (Model 7L300S0) with Firmware Code: BANC1G10 I get
    those freezes while booting Windows.

    I installed Windows 8 times from Scratch on that disk and as soon as I
    install nForce Drivers or any other HD relevant software (Nero,
    Acronis) it will never boot again.

    , Oct 30, 2005
  9. Hans-Georg Michna

    moritzgedig

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2007
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    workaround

    6V300F0 SATA2 (only) maxtor drive on a ECS KN1 Ultra with nForce4 chipset.
    workaround for the maxtor-nForce4 issue:
    Before getting to the Login-screen my computer discontinues booting.
    By trial and error I found out, that when I remove the SATA plug the bootprocess continues and I can plug it back in (hot-swap) once I have reached the desktop.
    I'd say this is a driver problem not firmware.
    The Drive worked fine with my Promise TX2+ SATA2 controller

    moritzgedig, Jul 15, 2007
  10. Hans-Georg Michna

    allen123

    Joined:
    Jun 22, 2010
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    thankx for such a good information...r u have any information regarding Coach Outlet from Coach Outlet Store...

    allen123, Jun 22, 2010