    anyone has DNS capacity stats for Win2k or 2k3, in particular, maximum
    number of zones supported.

    , Nov 14, 2006

  2. Herb Martin Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:...
    >I m creating a capacity sheet for our dns servers and wondered if
    > anyone has DNS capacity stats for Win2k or 2k3, in particular, maximum
    > number of zones supported.

    How big is your domain or largest sites?

    It is doubtful that you will be able to overrun
    any of this unless you are a) a GIANT company
    or b) an ISP with many thousands of (DNS zone)
    customers.

    Only as an ISP (or DNS registrar) are you likely
    to have enough zones to even CONSIDER such
    limits because in any realistic enterprise (non-ISP)
    situation the zones will be in hierarchies and
    so each DNS server will not be required to hold or
    even know directly about every domain/zone -- only
    the "tops of trees" and immediate children will be
    required on each DNS server. (This is why the
    Internet can contain many millions of zones without
    the 13 or so root servers becoming overloaded.)

    Even for large companies the physical distribution
    of the computers on different LANs (separated by
    WANs) generally dictates adding DNS servers before
    the actual number of clients or requests become a problem.

    Any such "stats" will be dependent on the actual
    pattern of usage, and I find that collecting such info
    is usually a waste of time.

    And most of the time you are going to want to use
    DNS AD Integration which changes any such
    requirements as well.

    Generally, you measure the performance and add
    more DNS servers as performance drops below
    prescibed/promised thresholds (e.g., service level
    contracts.)

    --
    Herb Martin, MCSE, MVP
    Accelerated MCSE

    Herb Martin, Nov 14, 2006

  3. In news:,
    <> stated, which I commented
    on below:
    > I m creating a capacity sheet for our dns servers and wondered if
    > anyone has DNS capacity stats for Win2k or 2k3, in particular, maximum
    > number of zones supported.

    10's of thousands. I'm sure there are ISPs out there using Windwos DNS that
    can attest this. Of course the server would need to be beefed up to support
    such a scenario with lot's of RAM, fast fault tolerant harddrives, gigabit
    connections, etc, and of course we need to also consider how many requests
    per second, and realistically, if the internet connection will handle the
    requests. We must also take into account EDNS0 support (whether routers
    support it). If not supported, it will decrease performance. You can write a
    script to create 10,000 zones, then create a script (or use some of the
    tools below) to nail the server with concurrent requests while watching
    Performance Monitor configured to log DNS data only.

    Curious, how many zones are you considering to support?

    Some tools and more info below...

    Load Testing Monitors - Antara.net Performance Counters
    http://www.mercury.com/us/products/performance-center/loadrunner/monitors/antara.html

    Avalanche SmartBits (numerous tests and load simulators)
    http://www.spirentcom.com/documents/664.pdf

    Agilent NetworkTester (not cheap) - will test numerous types of apps,
    including DNS
    http://advanced.comms.agilent.com/networktester/

    Pv6-draft-ietf-dnsext-message-size-04.txt [Explains UDP equals increased
    performance]
    http://www.greatplains.net/activiti...05/IPv6/draft-ietf-dnsext-message-size-04.txt

    Nnameservers: BIND and NSD Perf Testing
    https://www.centr.org/docs/2006/10/nameserver-perf.pdf

    List of other types of testing tools:
    http://www.softwareqatest.com/qatweb1.html

    --
    Ace
    Innovative IT Concepts, Inc (IITCI)

    confers no rights.

    Microsoft MVP - Directory Services
    Microsoft Certified Trainer

    Having difficulty reading or finding responses to your post?
    Instead of the website you're using, I suggest to use OEx (Outlook Express
    or any other newsreader), and configure a news account, pointing to
    news.microsoft.com. This is a direct link to the Microsoft Public
    Newsgroups. It is FREE and requires NO ISP's Usenet account. OEx allows you
    to easily find, track threads, cross-post, sort by date, poster's name,
    watched threads or subject.
    It's easy:

    How to Configure OEx for Internet News
    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=171164

    Infinite Diversities in Infinite Combinations
    Assimilation Imminent. Resistance is Futile
    "Very funny Scotty. Now, beam down my clothes."

    The only constant in life is change...

    Ace Fekay [MVP], Dec 13, 2006