Mary Jo on Morro

Discussion in 'Spyware Announcements' started by Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009.

  1. Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009

  2. One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender. According
    to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of Defender and a
    lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this may be the beginning
    of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009

  3. Bill Sanderson

    robinb Guest

    does it uninstall it in vista too?
    robin

    robinb, Jun 19, 2009
  4. Bill Sanderson

    robinb Guest

    funny that micorosoft would do this since wd is a defense against spyware
    and the new "morro" is strictly an antivirus program

    robinb, Jun 19, 2009
  5. Bill Sanderson

    robinb Guest

    btw the article you are talking about is not on the link you posted
    can you post the link please?

    robinb, Jun 19, 2009
  6. Certainly not. I haven't seen it, so I don't know what it does on Vista,
    but I suspect it will disable it via Policy settings, or something similar,
    and enable again on uninstall. This is a little tricky, because you want to
    be sure any such mechanism is reversed on uninstall, and everyone, Microsoft
    included, knows that standard uninstall procedures don't always go as
    planned.

    Will see when I get a chance to look at it--I'm hoping next Tuesday. They
    are being cagey about the time--my guess is that it will be timed for the
    start of the day in Brazil--but that's just a guess. There's a theory that
    initial distribution will be focused on Brazil and China for a variety of
    reasons, and that sounds like a great idea to me.

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009
  7. Ed Bott's review is the best information I've seen--and I believe that Morro
    will completely supplant Windows Defender. In fact, for machines and OS
    versions where the software explorers are not present, I believe they may
    come back--we'll see. At any rate, I am expecting Windows Security
    Essentials to do everything Windows Defender does and provide highly
    competent antivirus protection, including attempting to detect rootkits, as
    well.

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009
  8. Sorry, I goofed--there were supposed to be two different urls:
    So--here are two more: the first is Mary Jo Foley, the second Ed Bott. I
    recommend Ed's article for depth.

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/microsoft/?p=3120

    http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1067

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009
  9. <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/06/19/microsoft_security_launch/>

    <quote>
    MS names ship date for free security suite

    Microsoft is launching its free security suite next week - the 23rd of June to be precise.

    It was going by the funky codename Morro, but is launching under the duller name of Microsoft Security Essentials. It replaces Windows OneCare - and yes we do know what that sounds like.

    Microsoft Security Essentials will be available for users in Brazil, Israel and the US initially and for PCs using Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7.

    China will get onboard later this summer.

    The service aims to protect machines against viruses and other malware. The free download takes only 140MB, but you will have to sign up to the hated Windows Genuine Advantage.
    </quote>
    Associated Press Announcement in above URL.

    --
    Randy
    <http://msmvps.com/blogs/siljaline/default.aspx>

    Randy Knobloch, Jun 19, 2009
  10. Hi Bill,

    Sad but true.

    -=-
    Ǝиçεl
    :. .:

    Ǝиçεl, Jun 19, 2009
  11. The MSE download is impressively lightweight. The x64 copy I installed on
    Windows 7 was 3.8 MB in size; x86 copies are 4.8 MB for Vista/Windows 7 and
    7.7 MB for Windows XP. Installation (including the most recent definition
    updates) took less than four minutes and, as promised, the initial setup
    didn’t require any personal information or registration.
    Source: <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1067&page=2>

    Ǝиçεl, Jun 19, 2009
  12. I do expect that Windows Security Essentials users will need help, though!

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009
  13. Ǝиçεl wrote:
    > The MSE download is impressively lightweight. The x64 copy I installed on
    > Windows 7 was 3.8 MB in size; x86 copies are 4.8 MB for Vista/Windows 7 and
    > 7.7 MB for Windows XP. Installation (including the most recent definition
    > updates) took less than four minutes and, as promised, the initial setup
    > didn’t require any personal information or registration.
    > Source: <http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=1067&page=2>

    Ed does an admirable job, as always, thanks !
    I'd be curious to know where you obtained this Beta ?
    URL please...

    Randy Knobloch, Jun 19, 2009
  14. I think Engel was quoting Ed Bott--as he said. Ed has access to technical
    beta bits, but they aren't public.

    Bill Sanderson, Jun 19, 2009
  15. Hi Bill.

    Like always, I hope to see you there, and since the learning never end, your
    presence always should be intructive for all.

    But until the time came, we will stick with you and for you, together with
    the WD team.

    Until later, take care and have a great weeekend.
    -=-

    Ǝиçεl, Jun 19, 2009
  16. Not yeat.

    Probably next week (somebody will be post the URL)
    -=-

    Ǝиçεl, Jun 19, 2009
  17. Bill Sanderson wrote:
    >I think Engel was quoting Ed Bott--as he said. Ed has access to technical
    > beta bits, but they aren't public.

    Right, was just curious to keep the proverbial rumour-mill going.
    I'm currently running NOD32 AV and I think "Morro" would likely clash anyways.
    Test box ready to beta test, though.
    Hope this NG stays open as it's become a bit of a chat room, which is fun.

    Randy Knobloch, Jun 19, 2009
  18. Bill Sanderson

    dean-dean Guest

    Apparently Morro will can be downloaded directly from
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials starting on June 23rd in a
    limited public beta for XP, Vista and Windows 7 users. The Microsoft
    Security Essentials Web page isn't working at the moment, but it should be
    by Tuesday.

    (From
    http://gizmodo.com/5295656/microsof...oftware-codename-morro-available-on-june-23rd):

    Microsoft Security Essentials
    Fact Sheet
    June 2009

    As threats to the safety and security of today's PC users continue to
    evolve, Microsoft Corp. is actively working to help keep PC users protected
    so that they have a safer and enjoyable Windows experience. From building
    products that are more resilient to attack to delivering solutions designed
    to help secure the platform, Microsoft is committed to being a leader in
    providing consumers and enterprise customers worldwide with ongoing
    protection from new and existing threats.

    In addition to taking advantage of the security designed and built into
    its products, Microsoft also encourages consumers to use real-time
    anti-malware protection to help protect their PCs from new and evolving
    threats. There are many quality security products to choose from (both free
    and subscription-based); however cost and performance barriers prevent many
    consumers from using up-to-date security software to protect their PCs.

    To address consumer demand for quality anti-malware protection that's easy
    to get and doesn't slow down system performance, Microsoft is introducing
    Microsoft Security Essentials, a no-cost anti-malware solution that provides
    consumers with quality protection from threats including viruses, spyware,
    rootkits and trojans. And because Microsoft Security Essentials is offered
    directly from Microsoft, consumers can have confidence that the software
    they download is legitimate and not rogue security software that can
    actually cause a PC to become infected with malware.

    Available to genuine Windows users, Microsoft Security Essentials has been
    designed to be hassle-free and is focused on addressing consumer demand for
    a security product that delivers the following:
    Quality protection
    An easy-to-use experience
    Unobtrusive performance

    Quality Anti-Malware Protection
    With malware attacks increasing in both number and severity and the
    increasing incidence of rogue security software, quality anti-malware
    protection delivered from a trusted source is a must-have for today's PC
    users. With Microsoft Security Essentials, consumers can feel safer knowing
    that their PCs are being protected against viruses, spyware and other
    malicious software by the same core technology that is the basis for
    Microsoft's other award-winning security products and that is backed by
    Microsoft's world-class Security Response Center. Security features in
    Microsoft Security Essentials include the following:
    Real-time protection. Microsoft Security Essentials uses real-time
    protection to help address potential threats before they ever have an
    opportunity to become a problem.
    Dynamic Signature Service. In addition to taking advantage of daily
    signature downloads, Microsoft Security Essentials is able to validate
    suspicious files against newly identified malware in near-real time by
    querying the Dynamic Signature Service. Actions from unknown sources such as
    unexpected network connections, attempting to modify privileged parts of the
    system or downloading known malicious content all trigger requests for
    updates from the Dynamic Signature Service.
    Rootkit protection. Microsoft Security Essentials includes a number of new
    and improved technologies to provide additional defense against rootkits and
    other aggressive threats. These technologies include live kernel behavior
    monitoring for monitoring the integrity of kernel structures, support for
    direct file-system parsing to help identify and remove malicious programs
    and drivers hidden from the file system, and improved live rootkit removal
    that dynamically loads a new kernel mode driver as part of the cleaning
    process so that it can help successfully remove some of the more advanced
    rootkits.

    Easy to get, easy to use
    While there are many security solutions on the market today, the paid
    subscription model for consumer security does not meet the needs of many
    consumers, including those in emerging markets where cost, limited
    availability of payment instruments such as credit cards and hardware
    constraints can limit adoption of core security protection. To address the
    need for quality protection without the hassle of annual renewals or the
    cost and payment barriers associated with many suite products, Microsoft
    makes obtaining Microsoft Security Essentials and staying up to date with
    the latest technical and security protection advancements easy:
    Available at no cost. Because Microsoft Security Essentials is available
    at no cost, there is no need to go through a lengthy registration process or
    provide billing information.
    Direct download. Microsoft Security Essentials is easy to obtain online
    direct from Microsoft, meaning consumers can have confidence knowing they
    are downloading quality anti-malware protection from a trusted source.
    No registration, trials or renewals. Consumers can be confused by trials
    and annual renewals, in many cases believing they have up-to-date anti-virus
    protection when in fact they do not. With Microsoft Security Essentials,
    consumers can download the software without a cumbersome registration
    process and stay protected without the hassle of annual renewals.
    Up to date. Microsoft Security Essentials is automatically updated to help
    ensure that signatures, the anti-malware engine and the application are
    always up to date. New malware signatures are downloaded daily with new
    signatures accessed in near-real time through the Dynamic Signature Service
    when suspicious behavior is detected.
    Single-click fix. There is no guesswork required to keep the PC protected.
    When there is an issue requiring user attention, an action button appears in
    a prominent location on the notification with the suggested action, making
    it easy for the consumer to fix the issue with just one click.

    Quiet Protection
    Microsoft Security Essentials is designed to run quietly and efficiently
    in the background so that consumers can use their Windows-based PC the way
    they want - without worrying about interruptions, pop-ups or poor system
    performance. To help keep PCs protected without overburdening system
    resources, Microsoft Security Essentials includes the following features:
    Lightweight design. Because Microsoft Security Essentials is core
    anti-malware only, it doesn't carry the weight of the suite products and has
    a much smaller download size.
    CPU throttling. CPU throttling helps ensure that the user's system remains
    responsive to those tasks the user is likely to be performing such as
    opening files or browser windows, launching programs, editing documents,
    saving files, etc.
    Idle-time scanning. Scans and updates are scheduled to run when the PC is
    idle and use a low-priority thread.
    Smart caching and active memory swapping. Signatures not in use don't take
    up space in the available memory, making Microsoft Security Essentials
    friendlier toward older PCs as well as today's smaller, less powerful form
    factors.

    Microsoft Security Essentials System Requirements
    Operating System: Windows XP (Service Pack 2 or Service Pack 3); Windows
    Vista; Windows 7 (Beta or Release Candidate)
    For Windows XP, a PC with:
    CPU with clock speed of 500 MHz or higher
    Memory of 256 MB RAM or higher
    For Windows Vista and Windows 7, a PC with:
    CPU with clock speed of 1.0 GHz or higher
    Memory of 1 GB RAM or higher
    VGA (display): 800x600 or higher
    Storage: 140 MB of available hard-disk space
    An Internet connection is required for installation and to download the
    latest virus and spyware definitions for Microsoft Security Essentials Beta.

    Pricing and Availability
    Microsoft Security Essentials Beta will be available for limited public
    download beginning June 23, 2009, from
    http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials in the following geographies
    and languages:
    Geographies: Brazil, Israel, U.S.
    Languages: Brazilian Portuguese, English
    Public beta testing for Simplified Chinese in China will be available
    later in 2009.

    dean-dean, Jun 19, 2009
  19. Bill Sanderson

    robinb Guest

    well maybe they will rename it Morro this newsgroup or we will all just move
    to a new one when it is official
    we are like a family in here except for the one that comes after " i "
    robin

    robinb, Jun 19, 2009
  20. Bill Sanderson

    occam Guest

    Bill Sanderson wrote:
    > One other thing to note is that Morro replaces Windows Defender.
    > According to the article, it uninstalls it. The full functionality of
    > Defender and a lot more is built in, so that is fine with me, but this
    > may be the beginning of the end for these groups. Bye, Jack!

    This also means that for people who have 3d party AV programs already
    (Kaspersky, NOD3) they will have to choose between Morro and their
    existing AVs.

    I will not dump Kaspersky for anything that MS has to offer.

    If this means I dump (as a side-effect) Windows Defender, so be it.

    occam, Jun 20, 2009