Mapping local drives to clients

Mike

Hello,

We are running Windows 2003 Enterprise (Terminal Servers - load balanced).
For one of our applications, I need to be able to create a batch file which
copies to the client machine's local floppy drive (or hard drive), but I
cannot figure out a way to assign these local drives a drive letter - in
Explorer, they show up as A ON MACHINE_1. Does anyone know of a way to
assign these a drive letter to use in a script?? I looked into TriCerat -
they seem to have a nice program to do this, but it does not support 95/98
clients (we have a lot of 9x clients)

TIA!

Mike

Ron Oglesby [MVP]

My first thought is why do it to the client drive? poor transfer speeds via
the virtual channel and all. Why not do it to their local profile on the
Terminal Server or to their home directory if you just need a location for
it to be unique for each user.

home directory may be a good choice since that is seen as a simple drive
letter.

Mike

Ron Oglesby said:
My first thought is why do it to the client drive? poor transfer speeds via
the virtual channel and all. Why not do it to their local profile on the
Terminal Server or to their home directory if you just need a location for
it to be unique for each user.

home directory may be a good choice since that is seen as a simple drive
letter.

Because the State requires that we copy it to a floppy and send it in the
mail!! I know - ridiculous! I HAVE to get the file to the local floppy.

Thanks for the response!

Mike

Mike

Just tried it. Did not work. (Error 67 - not found) Thanks for the
response though.

Mike

Hover Xue [MSFT]

Hi Mike,

You need to first share the A drive in your client before you can access it
in your terminal server.

1. Share the drive on the client computer that is to be mapped. For
example, to redirect drive A, start Windows Explorer, right-click Drive A,
click Sharing, and then click "Share this folder".

2. From the client computer, establish a session with the Terminal Services
server.

3. Open a Cmd.exe prompt and type the following syntax to map the drive:
"net use <driveletter>: \\<clientname>\<sharename> /persistent:yes"
(without the quotation marks)

where <driveletter> is the drive letter that you want to use for
redirection, and <sharename> is what the drive was shared out as on the
client computer. You need to run this command only once in the session.
After that, every time the connection is made, the drive is mapped.

A Virtual Private Network (VPN) connection must be initiated before you
attempt drive redirection. Drive redirection does not work through an
Internet connection.

For more informaiton, please see:
272519 How to Redirect a Client Drive in Terminal Services
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=272519

Note: the Drive Share utility described in the article no longer works for
Windows Server 2003.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Hover Xue