Mapped Network Drives Problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP Networking' started by Jim QCID, Apr 20, 2008.

  1. Jim QCID

    Jim QCID Guest

    I have three machines all running XPSP2. The main machine is called Figaro
    the other two are quality and jfk. I have mapped some of the drives on Figaro
    to the other two machines and for some reason those mapped drives are no
    longer accessible. In Explorer they show up as disconnected network drives
    and when I click on one I get the error message, "An error occured while
    reconnecting P: to \\FIGARO\C$ Microsoft Windows Network : The network name
    cannot be found. This connection has not been restored. I disconnected the
    mapped C Drive from Figaro and I cannot remap it. I get the error message
    "The network path \\figaro\c$ cannot be found." It doesn't matter if the
    firewalls (Kaspersky Internet Suite) are on or off.
    What is truly weird is that I can connect to Figaro from quality using
    remote desktop. I can ping Figaro from quality and vice versa. If I open "My
    Network Places" on quality and go to entire Network > Microsoft Windows
    Network > Workgroup (The name of my workgroup) > it lists all three machines.
    When I click on Figaro I can see all the printer, Shared Docs, printer and
    faxes and Scheduled tasks folders.

    Doing all of the above on the third box, jfk, yields the same results.

    From figaro Win Explorer I have access to the drives I mapped from jfk and
    all the drives on Quality show up (when running Remote Desktop from quality
    to Figaro) as Disk From Remote Desktop Connection and I can access them.

    ipconfig /all from figaro shows:
    Windows IP Configuration

    Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : figaro
    Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : domain.actdsltmp

    Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

    Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : domain.actdsltmp
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com 3C920 Integrated Fast
    Ethernet
    Controller (3C905C-TX Compatible)
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-B0-D0-17-E5-C0
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    64.58.4.2
    Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Sunday, 20 April, 2008 12:14:39 PM
    Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Monday, 21 April, 2008 12:14:39 PM

    TCP/IP settings:
    DHCP is enabled
    No default gateway
    Automatic metrics
    No DNS servers specified
    Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes ON
    Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix checked
    Register this connection's addresses in DNS registration
    WINS - no addresses specified
    Enable LMHOSTS lookup checked
    netBIOS set to default
    Options - TCP/IP filtering is listed but not enabled.

    If I disconnect Remote Desktop (quality to Figaro) and try and map a network
    drive from quality on to Figaro \\quality\c$ I get the error message "the
    network path \\quality\c$ could not be found". If I go into Figaro's My
    Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > workgroup . all
    the computers are there.

    I have flushed the DSN cache and run repair on "locl Area Connection" to no
    avail.

    Anyone have any suggestions??

    Thanks

    Jim QCID, Apr 20, 2008

  2. Post back the result of "net share" command on figaro.

    --
    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    http://www.ChicagoTech.net

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Apr 20, 2008

  3. Jim QCID

    Jim QCID Guest

    C:\>net share

    Share name Resource Remark

    IPC$ Remote IPC
    print$ C:\WINDOWS\System32\spool\drivers
    Printer Drivers
    SharedDocs C:\DOCUMENTS AND SETTINGS\ALL USERS\DOCUMENTS

    Canon i9900 USB001 Spooled Canon i9900
    HP 5MP LPT1: Spooled HP LaserJet 5P/5MP PostScript
    Printer FaxModem (Photo Qualit Spooled Print to this device to send a
    pho
    Printer17 LPT1: Spooled QuickBooks PDF Converter
    Printer2 FaxModem Spooled Print to this device to send a
    fax
    Printer21 Microsoft Document Ima Spooled Microsoft Office Document Image
    Wr
    Printer23 IP_192.168.0.55 Spooled HP Color LaserJet 3600
    Printer24 LPT1: Spooled Family Tree Maker Printer
    Printer26 LPT1: Spooled Amyuni Document Converter
    Printer27 My Documents\*.pdf Spooled Adobe PDF
    Printer3 LPT1: Spooled ScanSoft PDF Create!
    Printer4 LPT1: Spooled Quicken PDF Printer
    Printer6 IcePortCR: Spooled PaperPort Color Image
    Printer7 IcePortMR: Spooled PaperPort Black & White Image
    Printer8 XPSPort: Spooled Microsoft XPS Document Writer
    The command completed successfully.

    C:\>

    Thanks!

    Jim QCID, Apr 20, 2008
  4. Jim QCID

    Jim Guest

    "Jim QCID" <> wrote in message
> [...]
    >> > Append primary and connection specific DNS suffixes ON
    >> > Append parent suffixes of the primary DNS suffix checked
    >> > Register this connection's addresses in DNS registration
    >> > WINS - no addresses specified
    >> > Enable LMHOSTS lookup checked
    >> > netBIOS set to default
    >> > Options - TCP/IP filtering is listed but not enabled.
    >> >
    >> > If I disconnect Remote Desktop (quality to Figaro) and try and map a
    >> > network
    >> > drive from quality on to Figaro \\quality\c$ I get the error message
    >> > "the
    >> > network path \\quality\c$ could not be found". If I go into Figaro's My
    >> > Network Places > Entire Network > Microsoft Windows Network > workgroup
    >> > .
    >> > all
    >> > the computers are there.
    >> >
    >> > I have flushed the DSN cache and run repair on "locl Area Connection"

    I don't see C$ in your output of net share...
    That is odd. I thought that administrative shares could not be deleted.
    But, if it isn't shared, then it cannot be mapped.
    Are you certain that you ran this command on the correct computer?
    Jim

    Jim, Apr 20, 2008
  5. Jim QCID

    Jim QCID Guest

    Hi,

    Yes, I am certain that I ran it on Figaro, the correct computer. Just to
    make sure I ran net share on quality and that didn't show any administrative
    shares either, but the administrative shares do show up on the third computer.

    Thanks,
    Jim

    Jim QCID, Apr 20, 2008
  6. Jim QCID

    Jim QCID Guest

    I just tried creating C$ share and D$share on Figaro and everything works,
    but if I stop and restart the SERVER service those shares are deleted (as
    they should be).

    Can you set the admin shares in the registry so they won't be deleted every
    time the computer reboots?

    Jim

    Jim QCID, Apr 21, 2008
  7. Jim QCID

    Jim QCID Guest

    I think I solved it. Using regedit I went to
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters

    There was no AutoShareServer so I created it and set the value to 1 and
    changed the value of AutoShareWks to 1. And now, all the admin shares are
    back.

    Jim QCID, Apr 21, 2008
  8. Yes, that is the problem. If you still have the same issue after restart the
    compute, you may want to scan for any spyware or virus. This link may give
    more information too.

    Troubleshooting Administrative shares are missing issues
    http://www.chicagotech.net/netissues/administrativesharing1.htm

    Robert L. \(MS-MVP\), Apr 21, 2008
  9. Jim QCID

    Anteaus Guest

    "Jim QCID" wrote:

    > I just tried creating C$ share and D$share on Figaro and everything works,
    > but if I stop and restart the SERVER service those shares are deleted (as
    > they should be).

    Think it's worth adding that this approach to file-sharing isn't very wise,
    anyway.

    If the users can access C$, this implies that they have Administrator rights
    to the computer hosting the share, not JUST the right to access ordinary
    shares. In this case they are probably able to remotely alter its registry,
    etc. as well. All it takes is one disgruntled user, or a virus to wreck the
    lot.

    Better to create a shared folder (other than the root) and give access to
    that, usign a non-Admin account on the host machine.

    Anteaus, Apr 22, 2008