    machines but SR2 was applied).

    Does anyone know of a way to overcome this annoying problem.

    Jim Snively

    Jim Snively, Aug 13, 2007

  2. It could be autodisconnect issue. this link may help,

    Mapping IssuesFirewall and autodisconnect are not issues here because all firewall and ... If you would like to turn Autodisconnect off, do net config server ...
    www.chicagotech.net/mapping.htm

    Bob Lin, MS-MVP, MCSE & CNE
    "Jim Snively" <> wrote in message news:...
    I have a four node Windows XP peer-to-peer network that is not connected to
    the internet (by design). Each machine has three network drives mapped to
    E:\, F:\ and G:\. One of the machines was recently replaceed with a new
    Dell desktop. On this machine the network drives are disconnected when the
    machine is booted up and the only user logged on. The drives can be
    accessed be accessed by clicking on them in Windows explorer but this an
    annoying extra step. I was wondering if there was a windows update that
    affected this area that wasn't applied to the the older machines? (Because
    of the lack of internet access - Windows Update does not run on these

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 13, 2007

  3. Jim Snively

    Jim Snively Guest

    Bob,

    I did net config server /autodisconnect:-1 on all four machines. Behavior is pretty much as expected - drives from machines not on at bootup are disconnected and reconnect quickly when ckicked in right pane of explorer.

    I have one machine that always comes up with all drives disconnected. I had added a second user so that a logon was necessary to resolve that problem - but decided to remove the userid so that logon is automatic. The disconnect problem there still persists. All machines have both "Use the Welcome Screen" and "Use Fast User Switching" checked. Any idea why this one machine behaves differently that the others?

    Jim Snively

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 14, 2007
  5. Jim Snively

    Jim Snively Guest

    Bob,

    I didn't need to do this. This morning the computer in question was started last and all drives showed connected. I guess what I saw yesterday was a residual from earlier problems that went away with an overnight shutdown.

    Thanks,

    Robert L [MVP - Networking], Aug 18, 2007