Manage Add-ons - Add-ons that run without requiring permission

Discussion in 'Windows XP Help' started by Inra, Apr 12, 2008.

  1. Inra

    Inra Guest

    The following add-ons are listed under "Add-ons that run WITHOUT REQUIRING
    PERMISSION" by Microsoft Corporation all "Enabled" for "Active X Control".

    4 for Free Threaded XML Do - MSXML3.dll including 1 that is (not verified)
    HtmlDlgSafeHelper Class - mshtmled.dll
    InformationCardSigninH - icardie.dll
    Microsoft Shell UI Helper - ieframe.dll
    Scripting.Dictionary - scrrun.dll
    Tabular Data Control - tdc.ocx
    3 for Windows Live Messenger - MSGSC8~DLL
    Windows Live Messenger - msnmsgr.exe
    Windows Live Sign-inC - WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    XML Data Source Object - msxmls.dll
    XML Data Source Object 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    XML Data Source Object 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    XML DOM Document - msxml3.dll
    XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml3.dll
    XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    XML HTTP 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    XML HTTP 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    XML Schema Cache - msxml3.dll
    XML Schema Cache 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    XML Schema Cache 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    XSL Template - msxml3.dll
    XSL Template 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    XSL Template 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll

    My question is, Do all of these have to be enabled?

    Inra, Apr 12, 2008

  2. Inra

    Allan Guest

    "Inra" <> wrote in message
    > The following add-ons are listed under "Add-ons that run WITHOUT REQUIRING
    > PERMISSION" by Microsoft Corporation all "Enabled" for "Active X Control".
    >
    > 4 for Free Threaded XML Do - MSXML3.dll including 1 that is (not
    > verified)
    > HtmlDlgSafeHelper Class - mshtmled.dll
    > InformationCardSigninH - icardie.dll
    > Microsoft Shell UI Helper - ieframe.dll
    > Scripting.Dictionary - scrrun.dll
    > Tabular Data Control - tdc.ocx
    > 3 for Windows Live Messenger - MSGSC8~DLL
    > Windows Live Messenger - msnmsgr.exe
    > Windows Live Sign-inC - WindowsLiveLogin.dll
    > XML Data Source Object - msxmls.dll
    > XML Data Source Object 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    > XML Data Source Object 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    > XML DOM Document - msxml3.dll
    > XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml3.dll
    > XML DOM Document 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    > XML HTTP 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    > XML HTTP 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    > XML Schema Cache - msxml3.dll
    > XML Schema Cache 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    > XML Schema Cache 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    > XSL Template - msxml3.dll
    > XSL Template 3.0 - msxml3.dll
    > XSL Template 4.0 (not verified) - msxml4.dll
    >
    > My question is, Do all of these have to be enabled?

    No, you may selectively disable the ones that you don't need. For example,
    if you are not using a Smart Card you may safely disable information card
    signin helper. These are all used to enable special features of IE.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, Apr 12, 2008

  3. Inra

    Inra Guest

    The problem is, I do not know what is needed and what is not. I have XP
    Home. There are 4 for the 1st one and one is not verified. I have Windows
    Live Messenger installed but there are 3 with the same DLL and 1 is .exe.

    Inra, Apr 12, 2008
  4. Inra

    Allan Guest

    "Inra" <> wrote in message
    > The problem is, I do not know what is needed and what is not. I have XP
    > Home. There are 4 for the 1st one and one is not verified. I have
    > Windows
    > Live Messenger installed but there are 3 with the same DLL and 1 is .exe.

    If you do not know what they are for then you should leave them enabled. XSL
    files are part of MS Word. If you are using WL Messenger then leave all the
    ones pertaining to it enabled. If you don't have a Smart Card then you don't
    need Info Card signin helper. You can even disable two services "Windows
    Card Space" and "Smart Card" as I have on my own machine.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, Apr 12, 2008
  5. Inra

    Inra Guest

    Thanks Allan. I have Java installed but there are 4 for Java Plug-in
    1.6.0_05 - ssv.dll. I do not use QuickTime but there is 1 for QuickTime
    Object (not verified) Apple Corp. - QTPlugin.ocx.

    Inra, Apr 13, 2008
  6. Inra

    Allan Guest

    "Inra" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks Allan. I have Java installed but there are 4 for Java Plug-in
    > 1.6.0_05 - ssv.dll. I do not use QuickTime but there is 1 for QuickTime
    > Object (not verified) Apple Corp. - QTPlugin.ocx.

    Leave all entries called "ssv.dll" alone but disable QTPlugin as long as
    QuickTime is not installed. You must have installed QuickTime previously.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, Apr 13, 2008
  7. Inra

    Inra Guest

    Thanks again Allan. QuickTime came with the computer but I never use it.

    Inra, Apr 13, 2008
  8. Inra

    Allan Guest

    "Inra" <> wrote in message
    > Thanks again Allan. QuickTime came with the computer but I never use it.

    If you are not going to install security updates for QuickTime it is better
    to uninstall it completely. As for RealPlayer be sure to uninstall "Rhapsody
    Player Engine" which is deceptively installed sometimes.

    --
    Allan

    Allan, Apr 13, 2008
  9. Inra

    Inra Guest

    To my surprise I saw my posts on two websites - TechArena Community and
    Google groups. How did they get there?

    Inra, Jun 19, 2008
  10. Inra

    Inra Guest

    To my suprise, I saw my posts on two websites - TechArena Community and

    Inra, Jun 22, 2008
  11. Inra

    jumpy0012

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CMCH NJ 08210
    I need some help with making the right ad ons

    Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
    jumpy0012, Jul 24, 2012
  12. Inra

    jumpy0012

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2012
    Messages:
    3
    Likes Received:
    0
    Location:
    CMCH NJ 08210
    how do I disable the one's iI don't need,I,m having a hard time here I can't seem to find out how to start the the ad on's

    jumpy0012, Jul 24, 2012