Man sized Hobbit house

Reaction score
Building a house covered by earth is not new, But for £3k this is some record.

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I think it's great :)

There's no mention of planning permission in the story and I wonder how long it is before the council come sniffing around after some council tax? And just which property band would they fit that into?

I reckon the fella fell on his feet, free housing in exchange for part time gamekeeping.

EvanDavis

Silly Fool
Reaction score
Working now.:thumb:

xxx.png

Taffycat

Crunchy Cat
Reaction score
Well it's certainly unique and actually looks very cosy. :thumb:

I too, hope the Council jobs-worthies don't get heavy about planning permission, etc.

Becky

Webmistress
Reaction score
Looks nice and cosy! Although I'd be interested to know how he dug out all that soil arned with just a "chisel, chainsaw and hammer"!

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Looks nice and cosy! Although I'd be interested to know how he dug out all that soil arned with just a "chisel, chainsaw and hammer"!

The ground was roughly leveled and compacted with an small excavator before construction started. The base of this hole was covered with builders damp proof plastic (i'm not certain that this was really needed, maybe gravel would have been better). On top of the plastic the ground was covered with scrap wooden pallets. On top of the pallets a single thickness of straw bales was laid right up to the walls and gaps at the edges were stuffed with split bales.

http://www.simondale.net/house/index.htm

That Gizmodo story is a new rehash of a much older story. ;)

Ask a Question