Malicious Software Removal Tool

Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli

I'm running Win 2000.
After installing the latest version of Malicious Software Removal Tool, it
fail to start, even calling mrt.exe from e dos prompt.
In c:\winnt\debug\mrt.log I see:
Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v2.10, May 2009
Started On Wed May 27 18:32:30 2009

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v2.10, May 2009
Started On Wed May 27 18:33:11 2009
Can't load the engine. Error code=0x800700C1
Trying an alternate location

What's happening?

Ǝиçεl

Hello Dr. Gagliardelli,

0x800700C1 = That error usually indicates the file is corrupt.

Please try again using this URL
<http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...E0-E72D-4F54-9AB3-75B8EB148356&displaylang=en>

Good luck

Come back and let everyone here know the results.

Ǝиçεl
-=-

Also, you can get direct help from Microsoft for issues with virus
infections or issues related to security patches.

I'd recommend calling 1-866-pcsafety if you are in the U.S. or Canada.

Elsewhere, call your local Microsoft subsidiary, or the number for paid
support in your locale--and ask for the free help with virus or
security-patch related issues.

This help extends to spyware removal as well.

If you /clearly/ state that a specific update or virus has caused problems
and don't ask any other questions, you /should/ receive No Charge support for
the issue.

Good luck
-=-

Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli

I tried asking MS support (in Italy), they replied that they won't support
windows 2000 any more.

Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli

I tried asking MS support (in Italy), they replied that they won't support
windows 2000 any more.

Ǝиçεl

It helps if you mark your initial question as answered--that will enable
others searching for an answer to find a correct one more quickly.
-=-

Ǝиçεl

It helps if you mark your initial question as answered--that will enable
others searching for an answer to find a correct one more quickly.
-=-

Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli

After WindowsUpdate didn't run, I just tried to manually download. I tried
once more, but the result is the same:

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v2.10, May 2009
Started On Wed May 27 18:33:11 2009
Can't load the engine. Error code=0x800700C1
Trying an alternate location

Microsoft Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool v2.10, May 2009
Started On Thu May 28 17:29:03 2009

In my opinion it's impossible that mrt.exe can be corrupted. From the site
you download an auto-extracting file in a folder where mrt.exe is. Since the
extraction ends successfully, mrt.exe, and its companion mrtstub.exe, are
definitely the same as Microsoft put inside the downloadable file. Isn't it?

Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli

Ǝиçεl said:
AFAIK Windows 2000's end of support is scheduled for June 30, 2010
Maybe there, not here! :))
This is what MS replied me, (more or less the english translation is "Your
request cannot be accepted becuse the product is no more supported. We
address you to see web links...", for that I'm here):

Gentile Cliente,

a seguito della problematica riscontrata, La informiamo che la richiesta
aperta via web non può essere accettata perchè il prodotto non è più
supportato.

La invitiamo a consultare gli articoli pubblicati al link
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=fh;IT;KBHOWTO oppure i
Newsgroup http://support.microsoft.com/newsgroups/default.aspx.

Cordiali Saluti,

Servizio Clienti Microsoft

Dr.Ugo Gagliardelli

Ǝиçεl said:
It helps if you mark your initial question as answered--that will enable
others searching for an answer to find a correct one more quickly.
-=-
I had a look at "Why should I rate a post?", and tried to follow the
suggestions, but the post still shows as "not rated". How can i do?

Ǝиçεl

Hi Ugo,

By rating a post as an answer, you help others find the answer more quickly,
and you help increase the quality of answers in the discussion group.

Was this post helpful to you? YES NO

Ǝиçεl
-=-