Windows 8 Make Windows 8 look like Windows 7

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Classic Shell is the 'go to' Start button, and its free. Start8 is about $5 off the top of my head without looking.

I put CS on the other halfs lappy, Change a few options, set it to boot directly to desktop and not metro. Bang, windows 7, with a win8 skin. lol

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
I do wonder why anybody is bothering to use Win 8? Unless of course you are one of those unlucky people who've bought a new machine loaded with Win 8 and the Bios won't let you load anything else. Or maybe the cost of Win 7 is prohibitive and you want to make the best of what you have (or been lumbered with).

I mean, come on, no real advantage in terms of performance and it's likely Win 8 will be redundant before this year is out.

But to actually change from Win 7 and pay for Win 8 strikes this fellow as madness.

But, hey, whatever, if that's what folks want, tis a free world, lol ;)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
I'd be interested to know which tools people are using or are aware of to make Windows 8 look and feel like Windows 7.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I would simple use ... Win 7

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Unless of course you are one of those unlucky people who've bought a new machine loaded with Win 8 and the Bios won't let you load anything else.

You've hit the nail on the head in this case - it's a friend with a new Windows 8 laptop, but she isn't getting on with Windows 8 after persisting with it for a couple of months.

I've suggested making it look like Windows 7 (I think the "modern" interface is the main culprit, but having a start menu would go a long way to helping). Worth a shot anyway!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Install Classic Shell, disable Metro on boot. :)

muckshifter

I'm not weird, I'm a limited edition.
Reaction score
ah, hmmm, that's naughty ... using UEFI BIOS lock to lock in Win8, inho, is illegal.

I'd be returning the laptop for a refund ... not fit for purpose!!

oh, and who's the culprit that sold this, non-workable, product?

:rolleyes:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Oh I don't know if she's locked in to using it, I suspect it could easily be changed to Windows 7 - its just that would require a re-install, time, money and PC knowledge. I'm simply recommending some apps to her to make things a little easier before making a drastic change - as she doesn't live nearby :).

Classic Shell looks like the way to go!

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
IMO Classic Shell is better than Start8, and its free, where Start8 is $5. Yes I've tried both.

Reaction score
I'd be interested to know which tools people are using or are aware of to make Windows 8 look and feel like Windows 7.

Classic Shell seems to get things the closest (http://www.classicshell.net/), but Start8 looks good too (http://www.stardock.com/products/start8/).

Anything else you'd recommend?
:fool:A DAM BIG HAMMER Windows 8.1 for the usual PC user is absolutly useless. I did try (http://www.classicshell.net/)and at first it seemed to work OK but when you try to use Metro from the start page it would not bring up the aps. Microsoft realy do have to do something for the next OS coming out later in the year to get me to buy it.Microsoft need to understand that many of us are users of PC's are home users and haven't been on the course and not likly to. Ony operating system for home users should be simple and so far as far as I can see there are only two up to now and that is Apple and Microsoft , and now there is only one and that is Apple which is two expencive:cry:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score

Possibly, lol

But I can use it and I still don't like it.

And as I said, I tried, I really did.

A turkey is a turkey, no matter how many coats of gloss are applied and band-aids stuck on, you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear ;)

But hey, who am I to pass judgement?

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
Reaction score
;)You aint the only one nivrip who hadent heard of PEBCAK.( Quote" (humorous) Problem Exists Between Chair And Keyboard. Used by technical support help desk staff to indicate that the cause of a problem with a operator induced problem":eek: But I did not want to show my ignorance especially as all the problems on my PC are induced by the operator:lol:

Last edited:

Ask a Question