Mac Office 2001, saving excel document Hangs W2K Server

Discussion in 'Microsoft Windows 2000 File System' started by Guest, Mar 2, 2006.

    Win 2000 Server SP4
    w/FileServices for Macintosh

    Client: MacOS 9.2.2
    Application : Office Mac 2001

    We have determined that a Mac saving an excel 2001 document to the server
    will cause the server to hang. Our staff member was able to create a new
    excel file and save it once. But subsequently will crash our server every
    time she goes to modify the file. She is able to logon to a Win2000 computer
    and open the exact same excel file with Office 2000 , modify and save the
    file without problems.

    Has anyone else had this problem and have a resolution?

    Technet KB article 833613 is similar to our problem, however instead of
    giving an error on the client, it will hang the server.

    Guest, Mar 2, 2006

  2. In article <>,
    "BT" <> wrote:

    > Win 2000 Server SP4
    > w/FileServices for Macintosh
    >
    > Client: MacOS 9.2.2
    > Application : Office Mac 2001
    >
    > We have determined that a Mac saving an excel 2001 document to the server
    > will cause the server to hang. Our staff member was able to create a new
    > excel file and save it once. But subsequently will crash our server every
    > time she goes to modify the file. She is able to logon to a Win2000 computer
    > and open the exact same excel file with Office 2000 , modify and save the
    > file without problems.
    >
    > Has anyone else had this problem and have a resolution?
    >
    > Technet KB article 833613 is similar to our problem, however instead of
    > giving an error on the client, it will hang the server.

    If a file can cause a server to hang then something is wrong on the
    server. With SFM, this may be that your Mac volume database is corrupt.

    To test this, you can create a new Mac volume and try saving your Excel
    file to the new volume. If this works then you'll need to delete the
    original Mac volume (this only deletes the "share" and not the files)
    and recreate it.

    Or your server may not be fully patched or need a hotfix, but I haven't
    heard of a hotfix for this particular issue.

    Hope this helps! bill
    --
    William M. Smith
    (Microsoft Interop MVP - Mac/Windows)