M.2 ssd's fast changing tech ---- phew !

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
So have come across this new M.2 storage and had a read of some very very interesting articles.

Seems like no matter how fast your M.2 is it will not make any noticeable difference to gaming acording to this,

HyperX Predator PCI-e SSD Review - Analyzing the Practicality of 1.4GB/s(06-2015)

Time to do some background reading,

Samsung XP941 & Plextor PX-G256 M6e M.2 Qualification(07-2014)

Overview of M.2 SSDs(08-2014)

Product Review: Samsung SM951 M.2 Drive(08-2015)

At this point I was all fired up and set to get the above. But wait on what is this NVME thingy ?

NVMe Takes the Performance Crown(07-2015)

Samsung SM951 NVMe M.2 PCIe SSD Review(05-2015)

Now that is fast though you will need one of these if you do not want to fry eggs in the pc,

Addonics M.2 PCIe SSD Adapter X110 Review(06-2015)

So that is me boot up ssd sorted, that is the SM951 NVME in case you were wondering, plus the adapter. CPU sorted, ram sorted and waiting for stock. Only the blooming mobo choice to make, darn it I wish I could buy em all and try em before making me choice. :lol:

Mind you I can not recall any benchmarks for gaming with the NVME so maybe they will make a difference in games.
Enjoy reading folks.

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Samsung Announces 950 Pro SSD, Their First Consumer V-NAND + NVMe SSD

Blooming amazing. The very next day after I order something an upgrade is announced. :lol:

I wonder if I should cancel my order for a 951 and wait for the 950 ? I have a feeling that they will be slightly more expensive but they do use a tad less power and have slightly better performance and some encryption facilities.

The article is worth a read if you are looking towards a new build. :cool:

In terms of features, the 950 Pro will support 256-bit AES. Perhaps more importantly though the drive will be bringing TCG Opal support for Microsoft’s eDrive standard, allowing the drive to do native encryption for BitLocker. Unfortunately this feature won’t be in the shipping firmware, and will be coming in a future firmware release for the drive.

Also of note on the OS front, Samsung will be shipping their NVMe driver with the 950 Pro as they have previously with the SM951. With Windows 8.1 there were some shortcomings with Microsoft’s generic driver, leading to manufacturers like Samsung producing their own driver. We’re still checking with Samsung and others over whether the Windows 10 driver improves on this situation at all, though Samsung has commented that their NVMe driver will work on Windows 10 as well.

The one thing that not a lot of reviews mention is that M.2 drives run very hot, an that is they get hot super quick. So personally I recon that they are best used in a PCIe slot with an adapter card rather than mounted flat on the motheboard. :cool:
http://www.anandtech.com/show/9650/samsung-announces-950-pro-ssd-their-first-consumer-vnand-nvme-ssd

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
This is a year old but is very informative.

SSD Interface Comparison: PCI Express vs SATA

Today we are going to go into the similarities and differences between PCIe and SATA SSDs. I will be providing information on how SSDs perform now, the potential for the future, and what it all means for you the end user. By the end of this article you should have a good understanding on how these work and what is the best for you.

:cool:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1489684/ssd-interface-comparison-pci-express-vs-sata

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Samsung 950 PRO 256GB and 512GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD Review

This is it. This is the day we have been waiting for. Ever since we feasted our eyes on the NVMe version of the Samsung SM951, we’ve been begging Samsung to release this as a consumer product. Bonus points if it was powered by their 3D VNAND technology. It took them a while, but they came through, officially announcing the 950 PRO exactly one month ago, and launching them today! Not only will we dive into the performance of this new model, we will also include its results in our new Latency Distribution and Percentile testing.

This gets a techy in parts but the conclusion is worth skipping to.
:cool:

floppybootstomp

sugar 'n spikes
Reaction score
Very nice too. And so it should be at £156 for 256Gb :eek:

I've been considering an upgrade for some time now and have a maintenance contract renewal coming up. If the customer stays with me, that's what their money will go on.

One of those SSD's, Z170 chipset and i7 Skylake will be the base requirements.

My current i7 setup (Sandy Bridge Socket 1155LGA) is now 4.3 years old and still running fine but my bedroom AMD setup is showing signs of flakiness so I think an upgrade is justified.

V_R

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
While I appreciate it for what it is, I'm more than happy with my 1TB 850 EVO that I got for £190. :cool:

256GB would be useless to me.....

aYaWdKu.jpg

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
While I appreciate it for what it is, I'm more than happy with my 1TB 850 EVO that I got for £190. :cool:

256GB would be useless to me.....

aYaWdKu.jpg

Hmm as a storage drive yer right. However as a boot up drive it is great. :cool:

Abarbarian

Acruncher
Reaction score
Very nice too. And so it should be at £156 for 256Gb :eek:

I've been considering an upgrade for some time now and have a maintenance contract renewal coming up. If the customer stays with me, that's what their money will go on.

One of those SSD's, Z170 chipset and i7 Skylake will be the base requirements.

My current i7 setup (Sandy Bridge Socket 1155LGA) is now 4.3 years old and still running fine but my bedroom AMD setup is showing signs of flakiness so I think an upgrade is justified.

You need to jump hoops if you install 7 on such a set up. 8 to 10 are ok as they have the drivers for NVME drives. :nod:

Ask a Question