    Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
    that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?

    John

    John, May 15, 2006

  2. John wrote:
    > I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
    > Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

    You meant AmiPro?

    > A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
    > for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
    > locate an installation disk.

    > He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
    > I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
    > nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
    > convertible, but that would be a huge job.

    You may want to try OpenOffice.

    http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=amipro+convert&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

    --
    .~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
    /( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.16.16

    Man-wai Chang, May 15, 2006

  3. John

    Lee Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
    > Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).
    >
    > A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
    > for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
    > locate an installation disk.
    >
    > He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
    > I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
    > nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
    > convertible, but that would be a huge job.
    >
    > Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
    > that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?
    >
    > John

    John....

    This link should solve your problem.

    > http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;313714&sd=tech

    Regards
    Lee in Toronto

    Lee, May 15, 2006
  4. John wrote:
    > I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
    > Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).
    >
    > A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
    > for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
    > locate an installation disk.
    >
    > He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
    > I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
    > nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
    > convertible, but that would be a huge job.
    >
    > Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
    > that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?
    >
    > John

    This may do what you want :-

    WordPro Viewer (free) can cut and paste into Word documents:

    ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlotus.exe

    >From the readme file :-

    Use KeyView for Lotus to:
    View and print Lotus SmartSuite documents already on your computer or
    received electronically.
    View Lotus SmartSuite files -- Word Pro, 1-2-3, Freelance Graphics --
    right within Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

    GreenieLeBrun, May 15, 2006
  5. John

    socrtwo Guest

    As far as I know, WordPro Viewer is no longer hosted at IBM. Possibly
    illegally, I'm hosting it:
    http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/kvlot32.exe. Also the
    Columbus Viewer will open the files:
    http://www.oasys-software.com/products/document_management/columbus/.
    As for Batch Conversions, perhaps the best idea is to buy the Lotus
    Suite on EBay for $12 and program a macro. Finally there is a site
    that suggests uploading all your LWP files to your Website, and putting
    them in some sort of index page so Google can spider them. Google will
    then index your pages and you can use their HTML convertor to see the
    files in a more ready format. Otherwise I think you are out of luck.

    socrtwo, May 15, 2006
  6. John

    Al Guest

    John wrote:
    > I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
    > Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).
    >
    > A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
    > for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
    > locate an installation disk.
    >
    > He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
    > I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
    > nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
    > convertible, but that would be a huge job.
    >
    > Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
    > that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?
    >
    > John

    If you have the Lotus software, Lotus documents can be saved in Word
    format, with the .doc extension.

    Al, May 15, 2006
  7. John

    Susan Bugher Guest

    GreenieLeBrun wrote:

    > WordPro Viewer (free) can cut and paste into Word documents:
    >
    > ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlotus.exe
    >
    >>From the readme file :-

    > Use KeyView for Lotus to:
    > View and print Lotus SmartSuite documents already on your computer or
    > received electronically.
    > View Lotus SmartSuite files -- Word Pro, 1-2-3, Freelance Graphics --
    > right within Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

    Did you try the link? It's not working here.

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, May 15, 2006
  8. John

    Susan Bugher Guest

    socrtwo wrote:

    > As far as I know, WordPro Viewer is no longer hosted at IBM. Possibly
    > illegally, I'm hosting it:
    > http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/kvlot32.exe.

    Hi Paul,

    You're showing a dead link on your web page:
    http://www.s2services.com/123-spreadsheets-viewers.htm
    ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlot32.exe *DEAD
    (The ACF link for KeyView needs to be revised too.)

    FWIW this site says it's okay to distribute the file. "Keyview for Lotus
    is a freely distributed program for viewing Lotus documents."
    http://www.manitoulintransport.com/downloads_forms/key_view.html
    http://www.manitoulintransport.com/downloads_forms/source/kvlot32.exe

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, May 15, 2006
  9. John

    Bill Barratt Guest

    If you can obtain a copy of Wordpro the job of converting a batch of files
    is relatively easy.

    http://suitedev.psclistens.com/lotu...9921fbcfd0e2a96e86256a3100125c76?OpenDocument

    This website has a small Wordpro batch converter programme in Lotus Script
    which can be opened in Wordpro and will convert files (retaining the file
    structure) to various file formats including editions of Word up to MS Word
    for Windows 7.0.
    Office 2003 can then open these files, and if necessary the Word Batch
    Conversion Wizard can be used to make the formatting etc. more compatible.

    Hope this helps

    Bill

    Bill Barratt, May 15, 2006
  10. Susan Bugher wrote:
    > GreenieLeBrun wrote:
    >
    > > WordPro Viewer (free) can cut and paste into Word documents:
    > >
    > > ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlotus.exe
    > >
    > >>From the readme file :-

    > > Use KeyView for Lotus to:
    > > View and print Lotus SmartSuite documents already on your computer or
    > > received electronically.
    > > View Lotus SmartSuite files -- Word Pro, 1-2-3, Freelance Graphics --
    > > right within Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

    > Did you try the link? It's not working here.
    >
    > Susan
    > --
    > Posted to alt.comp.freeware
    > Search alt.comp.freeware (or read it online):
    > http://www.google.com/advanced_group_search?q=+group:alt.comp.freeware
    > Pricelessware & ACF: http://www.pricelesswarehome.org
    > Pricelessware: http://www.pricelessware.org (not maintained)

    Try :-

    ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/Kvlotus.exe

    They must be running a Unix type of OS - what a difference a capital
    letter makes ;-)

    GreenieLeBrun, May 15, 2006
  11. John

    socrtwo Guest

    Yes very nice. Note the way to get it to work appears to be to
    1. Load the file in WordPro
    2. Choose Edit -> Scripts & Macros -> Run
    3. Use the top radio buttoned drop down box labeled "Run script saved
    in current file" and change from Main to "Show Convertor" (the last
    choice in the mneu).
    4. Choose the folder where the .lwp files are etc...

    socrtwo, May 15, 2006
  12. John

    socrtwo Guest

    Susan,

    Thanks for the 2 excellent pieces of info.

    Paul P. (socrtwo)

    socrtwo, May 15, 2006
  13. John

    Bill Barratt Guest

    There is a simpler way to activate the batch conversion programme.

    If you load the file into Wordpro, an item is placed in the drop down File
    Menu titled "Wordpro Document Converter". Just click on this to activate the
    converter.

    Bill

    Bill Barratt, May 16, 2006
  14. John

    Susan Bugher Guest

    GreenieLeBrun wrote:

    > Susan Bugher wrote:
    >
    >>GreenieLeBrun wrote:
    >>

    >>>WordPro Viewer (free) can cut and paste into Word documents:
    >>>
    >>>ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlotus.exe

    >>>Use KeyView for Lotus to:
    >>>View and print Lotus SmartSuite documents already on your computer or
    >>>received electronically.
    >>>View Lotus SmartSuite files -- Word Pro, 1-2-3, Freelance Graphics --
    >>>right within Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

    >>Did you try the link? It's not working here.

    > Try :-
    >
    > ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/Kvlotus.exe
    >
    > They must be running a Unix type of OS - what a difference a capital
    > letter makes ;-)

    Tis true. :) I've been trying to track down the versions of KeyView (the
    Wayback Machine isn't responding ATM). . . per one web page I found it
    looks like kvlot32.exe is the more recent version. Note the date on this
    information:

    <http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/ssforum.nsf/ResponsePrint?OpenForm&ParentUNID=85F2CA8D41A4ACD9852570F2006FC1CB>

    </q>
    RE: Reading word pro 9.0 files in xp
    Posted by JF Fontaine on 01/10/2006 at 03:20 PM
    Category: WordProRelease: All ReleasesPlatform: Windows XP

    Hi,

    In the past, Lotus provided a software, a limited version of a
    commercial software, called KeyView. With it, it was possible to open
    and print files created with Smartsuite, namely wordpro files. But I
    don't know if it will work under XP

    You can donwload if at
    ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/ (file kvlot32.exe)
    or from the free download aera at www.xpertss.com
    </q>

    Susan
    --
    Posted to alt.comp.freeware

    Susan Bugher, May 16, 2006
  15. John

    Susan Bugher Guest

    Susan Bugher, May 16, 2006
  16. John

    John Guest

    On Mon, 15 May 2006 01:45:28 +0100, John <> wrote:

    >I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
    >Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

    Thanks people - a few ideas to work on. I don't have MS Word or Lotus
    Wordpro. I have 602, Abiword and OpenOffice - more than ample for my
    usual modest needs, but no help here. I've tried KeyView but it
    doesn't seem to work on my machine.

    But if Lotus Wordpro can save in .doc format - especially if there's a
    macro that will do it all as a batch - then I reckon that might be the
    sensible way to go - any tidying up I'll leave to my enquirer to do
    himself. A friend (not the same one) has just told me he's sure he
    has a Lotus installation disk somewhere - if he can find it. Failing
    that, I've checked around and might be able to get it cheaply off the
    net (assuming my friend stumps up for it <G>). If it works OK with
    XP, that may be the problem solved, touch wood.

    Thanks for the help, everyone.

    John

    John, May 16, 2006
  17. John