Lotus to Word conversion.

John

I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
locate an installation disk.

He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
convertible, but that would be a huge job.

Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?

John

Man-wai Chang

John said:
I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

You meant AmiPro?
A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
locate an installation disk.
He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
convertible, but that would be a huge job.

You may want to try OpenOffice.

http://www.google.com.hk/search?hl=en&q=amipro+convert&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

--
.~. Might, Courage, Vision, SINCERITY. http://www.linux-sxs.org
/( _ )\ (Ubuntu 5.10) Linux 2.6.16.16

Lee

John said:
I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
locate an installation disk.

He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
convertible, but that would be a huge job.

Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?

John

John....

This link should solve your problem.

Regards
Lee in Toronto

GreenieLeBrun

John said:
I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
locate an installation disk.

He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
convertible, but that would be a huge job.

Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?

John

This may do what you want :-

WordPro Viewer (free) can cut and paste into Word documents:

ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlotus.exe
From the readme file :-

Use KeyView for Lotus to:
View and print Lotus SmartSuite documents already on your computer or
received electronically.
View Lotus SmartSuite files -- Word Pro, 1-2-3, Freelance Graphics --
right within Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

socrtwo

As far as I know, WordPro Viewer is no longer hosted at IBM. Possibly
illegally, I'm hosting it:
http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/kvlot32.exe. Also the
Columbus Viewer will open the files:
http://www.oasys-software.com/products/document_management/columbus/.
As for Batch Conversions, perhaps the best idea is to buy the Lotus
Suite on EBay for $12 and program a macro. Finally there is a site
that suggests uploading all your LWP files to your Website, and putting
them in some sort of index page so Google can spider them. Google will
then index your pages and you can use their HTML convertor to see the
files in a more ready format. Otherwise I think you are out of luck.

Al

John said:
I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

A friend has asked if I can convert them into .doc or even .rtf files
for filing purposes as they don't have Lotus any longer and can't
locate an installation disk.

He's tried importing them into MS Word (which I don't have anyway) and
I've tried the freebie word processors - 602, Abi, OpenOffice - but
nothing seems to work. The files are readable, and possibly hand
convertible, but that would be a huge job.

Anyone know of any program - preferably free as this is a favour -
that might import and save them without losing all of the formatting?

John

If you have the Lotus software, Lotus documents can be saved in Word
format, with the .doc extension.

Susan Bugher

GreenieLeBrun said:
WordPro Viewer (free) can cut and paste into Word documents:

ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlotus.exe

Use KeyView for Lotus to:
View and print Lotus SmartSuite documents already on your computer or
received electronically.
View Lotus SmartSuite files -- Word Pro, 1-2-3, Freelance Graphics --
right within Netscape Navigator or Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Did you try the link? It's not working here.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Susan Bugher

socrtwo said:
As far as I know, WordPro Viewer is no longer hosted at IBM. Possibly
illegally, I'm hosting it:
http://www.s2services.com/hosted-freeware/kvlot32.exe.

Hi Paul,

You're showing a dead link on your web page:
http://www.s2services.com/123-spreadsheets-viewers.htm
ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/kvlot32.exe *DEAD
(The ACF link for KeyView needs to be revised too.)

FWIW this site says it's okay to distribute the file. "Keyview for Lotus
is a freely distributed program for viewing Lotus documents."
http://www.manitoulintransport.com/downloads_forms/key_view.html
http://www.manitoulintransport.com/downloads_forms/source/kvlot32.exe

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Bill Barratt

If you can obtain a copy of Wordpro the job of converting a batch of files
is relatively easy.

http://suitedev.psclistens.com/lotu...9921fbcfd0e2a96e86256a3100125c76?OpenDocument

This website has a small Wordpro batch converter programme in Lotus Script
which can be opened in Wordpro and will convert files (retaining the file
structure) to various file formats including editions of Word up to MS Word
for Windows 7.0.
Office 2003 can then open these files, and if necessary the Word Batch
Conversion Wizard can be used to make the formatting etc. more compatible.

Hope this helps

Bill

GreenieLeBrun

Susan said:
Did you try the link? It's not working here.

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

Try :-

ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/Kvlotus.exe

They must be running a Unix type of OS - what a difference a capital
letter makes ;-)

socrtwo

Yes very nice. Note the way to get it to work appears to be to
1. Load the file in WordPro
2. Choose Edit -> Scripts & Macros -> Run
3. Use the top radio buttoned drop down box labeled "Run script saved
in current file" and change from Main to "Show Convertor" (the last
choice in the mneu).
4. Choose the folder where the .lwp files are etc...

Bill Barratt

There is a simpler way to activate the batch conversion programme.

If you load the file into Wordpro, an item is placed in the drop down File
Menu titled "Wordpro Document Converter". Just click on this to activate the
converter.

Bill

Susan Bugher

Try :-

ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/Kvlotus.exe

They must be running a Unix type of OS - what a difference a capital
letter makes ;-)

Tis true. :) I've been trying to track down the versions of KeyView (the
Wayback Machine isn't responding ATM). . . per one web page I found it
looks like kvlot32.exe is the more recent version. Note the date on this
information:

<http://www-10.lotus.com/ldd/ssforum...m&ParentUNID=85F2CA8D41A4ACD9852570F2006FC1CB>

</q>
RE: Reading word pro 9.0 files in xp
Posted by JF Fontaine on 01/10/2006 at 03:20 PM
Category: WordProRelease: All ReleasesPlatform: Windows XP

Hi,

In the past, Lotus provided a software, a limited version of a
commercial software, called KeyView. With it, it was possible to open
and print files created with Smartsuite, namely wordpro files. But I
don't know if it will work under XP

You can donwload if at
ftp://ftp.lotus.com/pub/lotusweb/product/smartsuite/ (file kvlot32.exe)
or from the free download aera at www.xpertss.com
</q>

Susan
--
Posted to alt.comp.freeware

John

I've been handed a disk containing a lot of old correspondence in
Lotus wordprocessor format (I assume - *.lwp).

Thanks people - a few ideas to work on. I don't have MS Word or Lotus
Wordpro. I have 602, Abiword and OpenOffice - more than ample for my
usual modest needs, but no help here. I've tried KeyView but it
doesn't seem to work on my machine.

But if Lotus Wordpro can save in .doc format - especially if there's a
macro that will do it all as a batch - then I reckon that might be the
sensible way to go - any tidying up I'll leave to my enquirer to do
himself. A friend (not the same one) has just told me he's sure he
has a Lotus installation disk somewhere - if he can find it. Failing
that, I've checked around and might be able to get it cheaply off the
net (assuming my friend stumps up for it <G>). If it works OK with
XP, that may be the problem solved, touch wood.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

John