    disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify disk surface and
    aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to get this file. If I buy
    another xp home edition will my data be saved.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2005

    What brand computer do you have? Recovery software may be on your hard drive.
    Can you boot up up in Safe Mode and try Sytem Restore? For you error message,
    See http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545 It is
    quite extensive. You need a Win XP CD for that procedure.

    Guest, Oct 26, 2005

    Malke Guest

    gambusino72 wrote:

    > apparently I've lost this file from my machine. I have'nt got a
    > recovery disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify
    > disk surface and aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to
    > get this file. If I buy another xp home edition will my data be saved.

    Unfortunately, you will need a real XP CD (not a recovery disk) unless
    your OEM has preinstalled the Recovery Console. Some OEM's (HP, I
    believe) offer the ability to boot into the Recovery Console at
    startup.

    In any case, boot with the XP CD and go to the Recovery Console. Type:

    cd system32\config [enter]
    ren system system.old [enter]
    ren system.alt systemalt.old [enter]
    copy c:\windows\repair\system [enter]
    copy c:\windows\repair\regback\system [enter]
    exit [enter]

    Malke
    --
    Elephant Boy Computers
    www.elephantboycomputers.com

    Malke, Oct 26, 2005
  4. gambusino72 wrote:
    > apparently I've lost this file from my machine. I have'nt got a recovery
    > disk, for some reason my cd burner was not able to verify disk surface and
    > aborted the burning process. Is there someplace to get this file. If I buy
    > another xp home edition will my data be saved.

    The file in question isn't located on any installation CD. It's part
    of your registry, and is unique to your computer.

    How to Recover from a Corrupted Registry that Prevents Windows XP from
    Starting
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;307545

    Once you've recovered, you might want to look here, as well:

    How to Troubleshoot Registry Corruption Issues
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;822705

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you: